Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil filter tool

whereisgibson

Anyone used one of these for our bigger filters? Any good? Don't want to get half way into an oil change to need to nip out and buy one, so would rather have it than not in the first place - if it's good that is.
1801241.jpg

http://www.clarkeinternational.com/shop ... tive-tools

Yes, a Draper version. Fantastically simple and it works. If the filter is difficult to get at, like the 120, it's handy for the last quarter turn during tightening too. I protect it with a good think chunk of towelling cloth so it doesn't damage the new filter body.

Pugwash, that's saying you didn't think much of it. I'm not sure there's enough room for the halfords solution under there...

they have their place and can be very useful, the only issue is you twist it from the base of the filter and they can ride off if the filter is extremely tight

the one you linked to might be better than the three prong one i used.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I also bought a Draper version one Saturday when nothing else would get the filter off. With a ratchet and extension bar I could reach the filter and apply enough force to get it out.

I bought one of these for about £5. Works like a charm.

Best think about it, vs the others, is the lack of space needed. The ones where the lever comes out the side are fine if you have a lot of room. The 120 does not.

800px-Oil-filter-wrench.jpg

Yep, like Crispin, never failed with the chain one like that. Had all sorts. Broke the chain one once (not in use) and tried alternatives. Not as good. Only thing with the chain one is that they can be tricky for getting filters off that are upside down under the engine. The chain slips off before you can wind it tight. But where you are working above, they function every time. Don't use them to tighten filters though. In fact don't use anything but hand pressure to tighten them.

Chris

whereisgibson said:
Anyone used one of these for our bigger filters? Any good? Don't want to get half way into an oil change to need to nip out and buy one, so would rather have it than not in the first place - if it's good that is.
1801241.jpg

http://www.clarkeinternational.com/shop ... tive-tools
There is another version of this, with round serrated "claws", and 1/2" square. Best filter tool I've ever tried.

"There is another version of this, with round serrated "claws", and 1/2" square. Best filter tool I've ever tried."

I have one of them - works well.
i used to have one like the chain one, but it had a webbing strap. i had used it a few years.
but when i first got the landcruiser and used it to remove a very tight filter - it snapped.
i ended up using a screwdriver hammered into side of the filter as a last resort
then bought the 3-prong one with round serrated claws - it has never failed me - yet

An old thread but i just had to go get one of these
1801241-jpg.47676.jpg
(same but chrome) from Halfords and i gotta say what a great tool even if i was pulling faces like some bloke screaming "ADRIAN!" with a 5 inch extentsion on a half inch rachet to break the filter seal it kept its grip on the filter .

I have just used a strap type for many years, works when most others fail

I always use these.
Work better for me than the strap or chain type
85560.jpg

Reactions: uHu
I also use the 3 prong type - which works well in confined spaces. You can easily fit various socket extensions and universal joints to reach awkward locations.

The 5VZ-FE's filter isn't that bad bad you'd still struggle to get FW device (above) on it and manage to actually turn it, even a little bit.

The Yaris' filter must be one of the easiest - it just sits towards the bottom of the engine, at the front and with nothing else impeding access. You can pretty much use whatever tool you like to remove. :thumbup:

I also use the 3 prong type - which works well in confined spaces. You can easily fit various socket extensions and universal joints to reach awkward locations.
Should have had that when I had to get the filter from in between the exhaust pipes of my Honda
10063.jpg

Back