Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil for 4.5 80

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Had a look but can't seem to find anything, what engine oil is best for the 4.5 80 series? Got some service bits and asked if wanted 10w40 semi or 5w30 fully as computer listed both.
I can get 5w30 fully synth from work or am I gonna have to get my hand in pocket?
Wondered what others are using.

By 4.5 you mean it's a gasser, 4.2 oil burners use 10/40 semi synth, i would think yours would be the same.

Yeah petrol. I thought might be 10w40 but best to check. Haven't paid for oil for a while, usually get from work.
At least can get all other fluids at work lol

Just checked my user manual and it says 10w30 down to -18 deg C and 15w40 down to around -12 deg C so same as the diesels. I would recommend you use basic semi synthetic 10W40 for 3 reasons, you get the best compromise of low and high temperature protection, Mr T recommends you use this viscosity for the diesels even though it says 10w30 and 15w40 for the diesels as well and the minimum specs are API SG or SH which are now obsolete so anything on the shelf at the local motor factors should be better than required. If in doubt have a look here: http://www.pqiamerica.com/devilsindisguise.htm

You can put fancy fully synthetic oil in it but you will be wasting your money unless you run an extended oil service interval well in excess of 10k miles or drive it round a race track all day long.

Cheers guys. I usually change oil and filter about 3k on my trucks (do less then 5k a year). Previous motor needed 5w30.

Back