Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil pressure fluctuating?? Replaced sump.

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Can anyone help? I replaced my sump last night, due to it leaking oil. New semi synthetic 10/40 and new non genuine oil filter Boche or something like that.

My oil pressure now sits at half way at around 2000rpm but when i drop down to tick over the oil pressure also drops down to just below the first white line. Does anyone else have this and is this normal?

When i had fully synthetic oil in and genuine filter for previous 6000 miles. Oil pressure would sit just below first white line when warm.

I used RTV sealant to seal sump

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Roys!!!

24v HDJ80

It's normal for oil pressure to fluctuate ... though fairly sure it's not normal for the standard toyota gauges on a diesel to read that high? Mine certainly doesn't get that high. The gauges are also notoriously unreliable. Whilst changing the sump you could have bumped the oil pressure sender which it's electrical connection may be slightly corroded? Not sure where the oil pressure sender is on these though.

Does it go down at all once it's warmed up?

Thanks guys for your ideas!!

It starts about half way then when warmed up, drops to just above 1/4 white line. But at around 2000 rpm or above it goes back up to about the half way mark and will drop back down when i reduce the revs. Previously it would sit at half way till warm up and then drop down to 1/4 line with no fluctuating thereafter. But that was with genuine filter and Fuchs fully synthetic oil. The pressure is not going higher than it used too when it was cold.

Cheers Guys!!

Btw ... not sure I would run fully synth in these. Seems a waste of good money.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All I can say is don't rely on the Toyota gauge............. connect in an additional one & then see what you are getting, I just fitted a tee into the tapping where the original sender goes , refitted the original sender & then an additional gauge.
Much more accurate!

Andy

Thanks loads guys!! I think ill fit an additional gauge at some stage, but for now i think i will just keep an eye on it and try not to worry to much!!! :)

Thanks again Roy

High Andy

Now you have 2 x gauges you don't know what the oil pressure is :icon-biggrin:. It's like having 2 x clocks, you don't know the right time.

Frank

Frank,
That could be true, but, I happened to have 2 gauges in the workshop & tried them both, just to check them, they both read the same.......so I know which one I would trust, and its definitely not the Toyota one!!!

and before you suggest it, I tried two different senders too!

Andy

This is exactly why most trucks and cars don't have an oil pressure gauge these days. If there was just a low pressure warning light that went out at 10 psi and it did would anyone worry about oil pressure? I don't think so. I'm with Grant on the requirement for fully synthetic oil (or lack of it). For all the time I have had my silver Cruiser I have religiously changed the oil at 4500M intervals with semi synthetic 15/40 and a genuine oil filter, the oil pressure characteristics have never altered from when I got it. In other Cruisers I use high spec mineral oil which I buy in bulk and change the oil every 4500 miles with a genuine filter. I then, as I have for the past 16 years used what comes out of the 80's for topping up hgv's when they need a litre or two. Has this hurt anything? Has it bu**ery. 80's dont catagorically need synthetic/ semi synthetic as todays mineral oil is so good and as long as there is some oil pressure there is enough.

Andy

I had an old Jag XK6 which used to cut out on tickover. There was no oil light or gauge. It was fine otherwise. After a lot of reading I found out there was a cut off switch which cut off the engine at 4psi. There were no rattles or knocks but when I stripped the engine the mains and bigend bearings were all down to their backings. Replaced all and ran OK after.

Frank

I know there is a similar set up on 60 series where the fuel is cut off so many seconds after the oil pressure goes below a certain level, also it will stop so many seconds after starting if the oil pressure does not build up. I dont know if the 80's have the same set up, I suppose it's for engine preservation.

Andy

Now that's a very good point Andy. I don't think they do but a cut off switch could be piped in and the wire spliced to the fuel cut off solenoid. It may take a second or two to start.

Frank

Back