Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

oil pressure gauge

cir287

Hi,
I'm looking to fit an oil pressure gauge. Nothing to do with the whole copper/aluminium washer thing really, I just plan on keeping this thing for as long as it lives and would like to fit the pressure gauge.

So a few questions :
Has anyone done it ?
does anyone know the best place to connect ?
I'm planning to leave the elec pressure switch for the dash light in place, does anyone know its location if I was to fit a tee/adaptor here ?
what is the max operating oil pressure ?

The LC is a 2007 3L D4-D : 1KD-FTV
I plan to fit a mechanical pressure gauge in front of the gear stick to the left hand side of the 12v power outlet, over the 3 unused / blanked switches.

Thanks.
Cir.

Nope, sorry - but I will following your project with interest :lol:

On the same sort of thing - have you thought about an EGT guage as well? And water temp / levels? I know that's a lot of things, and Jon W. successfully combined them on an Arduino, so was wondering what other folk have come up with, if anything.

Cheers

Hi Gary,
I plan to fit a volt meter beside it and then still have access to the 12v outlet (not that it cant be relocated easily). I reckon they should fit well there without having to modify anything, I just make up a snug little holder and silicone (or whatever) it in, looks neat and subtle.
Gauges dont seem to be a problem, black face, white text, red needle, chrome bezel (chrome is a slight compromise but close enough to dash dials)

The reason I'm going for the oil pressure and volt meter is that I reckon they are the two best early indicatore of something going to fail or cause a breakdown. I'm not looking to "accessorise or pimp", just functional, while still subtly fitting in. I trust the water temp gauge well enough, I just dont like the idea of the oil pressure being an on or off light.

OK - will be intrested to see what you come up with - although I thought all 120's had the seat heater switches and CDL switch where you're looking to go? Or are you going below the 12v outlet, where the TEMS and ride-height / DAC switches are on the LC4 / LC5?

Gary Stockton said:
OK - will be intrested to see what you come up with - although I thought all 120's had the seat heater switches and CDL switch where you're looking to go? Or are you going below the 12v outlet, where the TEMS and ride-height / DAC switches are on the LC4 / LC5?

Its a manual Lc3, so no heated seats, CDL is activated with transfer box lever to the left of the gear lever, RDL is on dash in front of left knee.
I have 3no switch blanks and 12v aux power socket here, in front of gear lever, at base of gear lever level.
Plan is to leave them alone and just mount on top at 45' angle so I can see from driving position.

Ahh - ok - guessed as much. Will still be watching this!

Good luck

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There was a chap a while back who came and bought my old tyres from me. He had gotten halfway in fitting an oil pressure gauge. I don't recall if he removed the filter assembly or if it was a blanked connection he found somewhere near the old filter but his plan was scuttled when the whole was found to be tapered. The gauge he had already fitted and associated tubing had a normal thread on it and would not fit the tapered hole.

I don't recall who it was, it was a long time ago. He is (was) a member here, had a silver LC3.

Not much help :whistle:

I take it you don't get an OEM gauge on a 120? They're usually a bit useless anyway but where the OEM sender is mounted a handy place to T off your own sender ...

Nope, only have a low pressure light (you had a problem 5 seconds ago and you engine is now cooked :thumbdown: ).

Hi Crispin that was me with the silver LC. I did it in the end by unscrewing the original oil pressure sensor and fitting a short hose and a t joint. It worked really well but i could also have done it with a VDO gauge and sensor. The VDO sensor would have allowed me to bin the original sensor as it has two outputs and use the VDO one only. I fitted the gauge in a single pod and mounted it under the ashtray. Not quite line of sight but quick look every so often was ok. Unfortunately i replaced the LC with a Avensis tourer in February for some bizarre reason :naughty: . A nice car but not a LC so it goes on saturday to be replaced with another LC 120 :dance: . Can't wait

Airhoguk said:
Hi Crispin that was me with the silver LC. I did it in the end by unscrewing the original oil pressure sensor and fitting a short hose and a t joint. It worked really well but i could also have done it with a VDO gauge and sensor. The VDO sensor would have allowed me to bin the original sensor as it has two outputs and use the VDO one only. I fitted the gauge in a single pod and mounted it under the ashtray. Not quite line of sight but quick look every so often was ok. Unfortunately i replaced the LC with a Avensis tourer in February for some bizarre reason :naughty: . A nice car but not a LC so it goes on saturday to be replaced with another LC 120 :dance: . Can't wait

Hi Airhoguk,
I had a look around at the engine yesterday. The existing oil pressure switch seems to be just behind the oil filter, there also seems to be a blank fairly close but its very close to the bulkhead and I could only just feel it, not possible to see without a snake camera.
I went to take the switch out but had left one of the toolboxes elsewhere, so no big sockets. I'm guessing I'll need about a 24mm socket to remove it.

Do you remember what thread the switch / adaptor / tee you used was or where you got it ?
I'd rather stick with the original switch and a mechanical gauge.

Thanks
Cir.

Hi, thread is 1/8" BSPT, i was able to confirm this with the part no. and searching the net with this to find the original manufacturers website and thread size. I have a copy of the genuine Toyota manual which i used to see if any other 'holes' could be used but didn't appear to. The Tee i bought was on ebay and came with a short length of what appeared to be braided pipe, cost about £20 i think.
Cheers

That's great, appreciate the info.
By any chance do you remember the max oil pressure you got, I'm trying to get a gauge with the best scale.
Thanks
Cir

Hi Cir,
apologies for the delay it was 10 bar and usually sat around about the middle reading wise

Why not use an accurate glycerin filled pressure gauge. I'm guessing that you could remove the oil pressure switch and replace it with a tee (1/4" or 1/8" or metric equivs), on the branch of the tee fit a decent gauge using a gauge adapter. On the run of the tee, in other words the end that isn't connected into the engine, reconnect your pressure switch.

Oil pressure gauges in the instrument panel are at best ropey. This way whenever you are fooling around beneath the bonnet you can check pressure out accurately.

Assuming that as stated the threads are 1/8" bsp... use hydraulic fittings with swivel ends. Also use dowty seals on hydraulic to non-hydraulic fittings.

Back