Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Pressure Reads Low

son of beer

My oil pressure is reading low.
I changed out the oil pressure sending unit and it still reads low.
I attached a presure gauage where the sending unit goes and and reads 40psi while ideling but still nothing on the dash.
Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, ignore it. Mine reads zero and has done for nearly 3 years. If you didn't have a gauge you wouldn't be fretting about it. If it says 40 psi at idle, great. I swapped the sender three times and the dash. In the end I went and did something more useful.

The gauge in the dash is notoriously unreliable, if you have 40psi at idle you have bloody good oil pressure

The sensors are adjustable, they often read low and this has been attributed to the actual dashboard unit which may be true however, the sensor can be altered.

Try it on your old unit if you have not binned it, take some time and undo the crimp around the body of the sensor. Inside there is a set of 'points' and it is the gap between them that needs to be set, there is a small ratchet that you turn to alter the gap. I have not seen a factory setting but I did some trial and error and got the gap to IIRC around 5 thou? The reading on the gauge with ignition on and engine off put the needle at the bottom of the oil pressure gauge, once started the gauge moves to around 1/4 at idle and just under 3/4 at speed. As an asides, even an avid gauge watcher such as myself could miss a slowly falling gauge when something has caused a leak so, I put in a 'T', this gives me a 'proper' gauge under the bonnet AND an idiot light with buzzer on the dashboard which has yet to be fitted but you get the idea right?

regards

Dave

Back