Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Pressure sensor

Allchin

Can anyone confirm that the thread used on the oil pressure sensor is 1/8NTP?

I would like to check the oil pressure, since I last checked it, I have done 120K.
I could not find the T piece I used last time, so I bought another one but it would not screw into the block! and was advertised as 1/8 NTP. The toyota sensor will nicely screw into the output of the T piece.

Stephen

Damn I done this myself a few years back, IIRC you have the right thread but it should be tapered? If not tapered you will find the adapter jams after a few turns in, ok though for a temporary quick check.

Regards

Dave

The thread is definitely tapered. Are you sure you don't mean 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Taper)?

The thread is definitely tapered. Are you sure you don't mean 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Taper)?

Yes, I did mean 1/8 NPT.

Further research revealed difference between BSPT and NPT is that on a BSPT thread the angle across the flanks of thread (if you sliced the fitting in half long-ways and measured the angle from root to crest to root) is 55 degrees instead of 60 degrees as it is for NPT. Thus an NPT male will fit into a BSPT fitting or vice versa but they will not seal.

The tee connection I bought has a tapered thread but would only turn once in the block, so I think this is incorrect. I was asking the forum if anyone new for sure what thread type it was. I went for NPT as this was the most common type listed on ebay. Though the research I found was that BSPT was common in China and Japan, so now I think it might be BSPT and NPT was in America.

I will speak to the supplier on Monday

Stephen

Pipe threads are a nightmare with BS and NP threads not being compatible. However, I found that if you use nylon fittings with tapers, they will deform sufficient to fit! Taa dahh. Very hand in a tricky situation. HAd to do this with airlines on more than one occasion.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For general info .... The thread used for the oil pressure sensor is 1/8 BSPT.
still have'nt got around to check the oil pressure yet.

Stephen

I dont know for sure in the case of your vehicle. However I put in a 1/8NPT or the other one I cant say, on my 70 , I couldn't find a 24mm thread sandwich plate adapter for the oil filter or a T so I just plugged it into the Vehicles stock oil pressure gauge , since it was kaput anyway . Its working good so far.

Back