Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OK, so it's hardly the Serengeti National Park

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
But Scotland is beautiful and you can eat some parts of it as well. Took the truck for it's first real outing with new tyres, tent etc. I haven't go a packing system in there you and I still have some bits and pieces to work out, but it ran well on the way up giving me 20mpg @ a solid 60mph. Which for a loaded vehicle with a rack and tent isn't that bad. OK 40 + would be lovely, but not in this lifetime. One drawback of having the roof tent for shooting is that you can't really keep packing away to use the car to get around. So I did a lot more local walk 'n stalk. On the way back, I took the tyres up to 40psi. I haven't topped the tank up yet but it look on the gauge to have used quite a bit less. So that might put me in the 23 - 24 region. Can't complain at that. We'll see. The 80 is so much better the the 90 in terms of the boot and tailgate. What a useful feature. I even had a snooze on it.

Weather was sh...shocking. Really poor and unpleasant. The damp brought the midges out. Lovely. But we had some fantastic nights sitting out till pretty late on port and Jim Beam. Not a bad sky. Good news is that despite the driving rain, the tent stayed lovely and dry inside and the outside dried very quickly indeed.

Oh and before I forget, that Quest Tristar fridge worked absolutely brilliantly. Actually froze my Camembert! Work just as well off a square wave inverter too. £100? Come on!

IMGP4097.jpg

OK you had to be there but there was an incredible moon rise. Sorry phone camera pic.

IMGP4103.jpg

The shooting was frustrating. Cover so deep I couldn't get a shot. Well, I bagged one in the end. And found a new use for a roof tent

IMGP4106.jpg

Needless to say I went for a play. I found some rock steps which took a bit of getting up. No pics as I was driving! So these are all I have. me and a pile of stones.

IMGP4107.jpg

IMGP4110.jpg

Well that was my weekend. Sorry if there no Wildebeast or rhino. But it's all I could stretch to.

Chris

Looks like a great weekend, Chris! I particularly like the last pic showing off your truck - very creative placement of the club sticker!

Cheers,

Looks like you had a great time. Well jealous..

What's the deal with driving off road in Scotland? Can you just drive anywhere??

Trucks looking good,Chris, especially like the black alloys. :thumbup:

Not many places to put a white sticker on my car, Andrew. Had to get creative.

Uhm, no I don't think that you can just drive wherever you like. Truth is you CAN'T drive where you like. Physically. Not without a Unimog. I can go where I like on the land that we have. That is pretty challenging in places. So much of the ground is just bog underneath and you have no chance of driving on it at all. Most shooting estates have Argocats as that is the only thing that can cope. Even my quad struggles. Some bit are pretty hard underneath and will support the weight. You really have to pick a route very carefully.

It's a very different sort of terrain up there and ok whilst generalizing hugely, the difference down here, is soil. Peat just is not the same.

Chris

Do you get to a point where you think lil blue might be better off, being lighter....?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No, not really Tommo. I mean a main battle tank weighs about 70 tonnes and they're pretty good off road! :D

Really like my 80.

Chris

Tackling rock steps Chris? Without a transfer case guard?? Are you mad???

:lol:

Sounds a splendidly civilised way to spend a weekend buddy :mrgreen:

It seems that there is something waiting for me at the post office Gav. Wonder what on earth that might be. Don't worry, I took the impact on my new sliders! Now, where's me black hammerite?

Chris

mmmm venison !

did you get any foxes and bunnies ?

good to see GW and accessories have been out for a decent test and worked well.

Andy, bunnies are a very rare thing on our land. We are leaving them to breed like, well like rabbits actually. Then we may harvest a few.

Got a cracking fox. 200 yards to the back of the Loch. 7mm Rem Mag with a 140 grainer 2 3000fps. It was like switching a light off.

Chris

200yds - good shot and good range. I would need about 2ft of holdover on my .22 rimfire with tiny 40gr rounds.....to get anywhere near a target at that range. on a still day and using bipod and rangefinder, I have taken bunnies at 120yds. but normally restricted to 70-90yds.

7mm zeroed to be 1.5" high at 100 will give you virtually flat to 200. No problem. I have taken roe at a confirmed 307 yrds with my 25-06. 200 yards is nothing.
Good shot with a .22 that is. If you watch the effect of a side wind on a .22 it's pretty dramatic. You have to shoot between the gusts! To say nothing of the hold over as you said. I have a .17 centre fire (not the HMR thing) that comes out of the pipe at 4200 fps. Now that IS flat for foxes. 20gr V max bullet. Very dead.

Chris

Do you have to take into account the relative humidity with the smaller calibre stuff? Makes a huge difference on 7.62 and above?

You guys have wandered off into a different forum altogether... ;)

Yeah, but it was my thread and I've finished with it Gav. No one's really bothered. It was not the trip of a lifetime and besides in August I might be going to the New Forest!

Tommo, in terms of what we shoot, you only have to take account of A) is it edible B) is it vermin C) is anyone watching

Relative humidity. Nah. By the time you'd worked it out, it would have sodded off.

Chris

Chris said:
Yeah, but it was my thread and I've finished with it Gav. No one's really bothered. It was not the trip of a lifetime and besides in August I might be going to the New Forest!

Chris

Are you going to shoot horses? :shifty: :shhh: :lol:

Julian, just how does you mind work. They were mutually exclusive statements. However, you have given me a great idea.....

Chris

My only thought was that they are pretty slow moving, not much sport

Back