Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old Man Emu (OME) OEM make my vehicle?

Mark Chapman

Country Flag
united_states
Seems like many members have added an Old Man Emu (OME) suspension system to their 80 series Land Cruiser. I am considering doing the same and have some questions:

(1) If you don't put front and rear bullbars with winch in front do you still need to add the OEM for the stated benefits of just slightly increase ground clearance and a stiffer ride? I have heard that the OEM is most helpful in offsetting the vehicle weight gain with added bull bars and winch.
(2) My ride with stock springs and suspension is already stiff. How much more stiff will the OME make my vehicle?
(3) Is there a better system available to install that can be dialed in (air or other) depending on size of load you're carrying?
(4) Is this really worth doing and why?

FYI my use of vehicle is mixed. It's a daily driver and work truck carrying medium sized loads of lumber or other materials and a off road moderate 4x4 on weekends or longer road trips.

Thanks for your help in helping me justify this expense.

Sorry, not sure how that strange title happened. Looks like I have a stutter.

Hi Mark,

I use my truck in a similar capacity. OME is probably the most popular choice, and unless you're planning something extreme, their gas foam cell range it's a more than adequate kit. I had it on my last 80.

A decent suspension kit will do far more than increase stiffness and ride height. The right choice will transform the ride and handling of your truck. Many (including OME) offer a kit that maintains stock ride height, so you get the benefits without added body roll. No good if you're planning on big tires, but you can still fit 285/75/16s without a problem. Personally, I went for the 2.5-inch lift.

If your stock suspension is stiff, it's most likely due to sagging springs and/or perished bushings and/or corrosion. Alternatively, it may not be stock at all, but a previous owner's attempt at an upgrade!

Most vendors will offer kits based on the variables you describe (such as winch/no winch, type of terrain etc). I bought Pedders second time around (also gas foam cell, not their entry level kit) only because when I called to enquire they offered loads of really helpful advice on spring and shock choice and what the differences were. I can't say one is better than the other.

The best ride I've experienced in an 80 was with Icon shocks and progressive springs - but with a 3-inch lift and heavy roof rack it was unwieldy in the corners.

Suspension kit is often the first thing people do when they get an 80. On a 20-year-old truck, it's not so much worthwhile as essential.

Oh, and if you go for a non-lifted kit you avoid having to correct the castor of the front axle. Castor correction is essential with any lift kit or the handling goes 4 sheets to the wind! It can be done with offset bushings (these are included with OME lift kits) but some argue it's better to re-drill the trailing arm mounts.

Hi Mark,

I use my truck in a similar capacity. OME is probably the most popular choice, and unless you're planning something extreme, their gas foam cell range it's a more than adequate kit. I had it on my last 80.

A decent suspension kit will do far more than increase stiffness and ride height. The right choice will transform the ride and handling of your truck. Many (including OME) offer a kit that maintains stock ride height, so you get the benefits without added body roll. No good if you're planning on big tires, but you can still fit 285/75/16s without a problem. Personally, I went for the 2.5-inch lift.

If your stock suspension is stiff, it's most likely due to sagging springs and/or perished bushings and/or corrosion. Alternatively, it may not be stock at all, but a previous owner's attempt at an upgrade!

Most vendors will offer kits based on the variables you describe (such as winch/no winch, type of terrain etc). I bought Pedders second time around (also gas foam cell, not their entry level kit) only because when I called to enquire they offered loads of really helpful advice on spring and shock choice and what the differences were. I can't say one is better than the other.

The best ride I've experienced in an 80 was with Icon shocks and progressive springs - but with a 3-inch lift and heavy roof rack it was unwieldy in the corners.

Suspension kit is often the first thing people do when they get an 80. On a 20-year-old truck, it's not so much worthwhile as essential.
Thank you for the helpful advice...appreciated!

Back