Country Flag
great_britain
Just browsing through some old pics and found some of my 4x4 evolution

The disco it all started in as a winch bitch
FB_IMG_1476629294406.jpg

Very capable with lockers, front and rear winch etc and it got me hooked

Moved onto the trooper which came with some horrendous 3 spoke wheels
FB_IMG_1476629324940.jpg

It didn't stay like that long, started with just some Mt's but it got somewhat broken, after that it got the works, 4.5" lift, 33's, winch etc, rose jointed suspension and custom stuff upfront. Got abused

FB_IMG_1476628951822.jpg
FB_IMG_1448047595493.jpg

2015-02-07 13.07.16.jpg

Went almost every where it got pointed, broke every drivetrain component at some point and eventually broke it's back and snapped the middle of the chassis

FB_IMG_1476628882610.jpg

Got replaced by a later mk4 3.0 which got similar treatment but we now had lily so had to be more friendly (no bucket seats, harnesses and needed to keep the back seats)
FB_IMG_1476628896600.jpg

Bought as a non runner for £750 but never bonded with it, was supposed to be a landcruiser not another trooper!!
Now had an auto diff lock fitted etc and very was capable
FB_IMG_1476628980109.jpg

I still had the red trooper and bought the black 80 and haven't looked back
FB_IMG_1476629150530.jpg

FB_IMG_1475777699401.jpg

2015-07-29 22.51.21.jpg

Last edited:
What old pics has everyone else got?

our first 4x4 was a SWB Toyota Rav4 in 2001/2002

HQ27.JPG

then we replaced it with a subaru forester

2002_0911_185843AA.JPG

not long after that i bought an old Toyota 4runner with 3.0 KZT engine off a mate, to join the subaru
The 4runner being my first big 4x4 with low range gears etc, had many fun adventures in it and started me on modding and working on vehicles

DSCF1003.JPG

DSCF1015.JPG

After 5-6 years , replaced the 4runner with "Wugg" the landcruiser colorado
With Wugg we got into overland travel, with memorable trips to Pyrenees, Alps and Morocco

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

After 11 years we swapped the subaru we bought new in 2002 for a second hand newer forester, the newer one being the petrol XT with turbocharger. A much nicer car with sub 6-second 0-60 (the old non-turbo car too around 11 seconds to hit 60)
IMG_3927.JPG

Wugg was sold to David in 2013 when we bought a new Hilux
3 years on, Holly Hilux has done trips to France, Iceland and France/Spain and numerous camping trips in Scotland, towed tons of wood and gravel

2015-07-17 12.26.54.jpg

2014-06-28 10.53.23-1.jpg

Turd was my first, a kzn130 surf on the right which i bought about 6 years ago and was replaced by Mjb an hdj80 about 3 years ago.
photo 2 (5).JPG
Turd and the daily drive homy
SAM_0270.JPG
the last time it snowed in Watford, went in the cinema, came out a very happy chappy!
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My first 4x4, many years ago, was an Austin Champ with a 3ltr Rolls Royce engine just bought as a ‘different’ type of transport very rarely taken off road. No pictures I’m afraid.

Many years later my second was a dark grey 80 never taken off road

My first Landcruiser.jpg

My third was a Mitsubishi Shogun which went to the scrappy after I seized the engine. Another one that was never taken off road. This is the only picture I have of it.

Shogun at Dens.jpg

My forth and current is another 80 which you all know as The Phoenix soon to be resurrected yet again, this time from the water not the flames.

Seen here as an extra in an episode of Midsomer Murders, very lucrative job that, cash in hand five days filming at £300 per day.
The episode was called Midsomer Life, it was driven, when the driver was visible on screen, by that actor in the foreground, when the driver wasn't visible it was me.

22.jpg

And here, pics of the first flooding, that's Ian Rubie about to pull me out and later to tow me 5k down that Welsh mountain in the dark with no lights, no power steering and a steep slope to my left, I still have nightmares about that.

1.jpg

Emptying the Welsh muddy water.

6.jpg

Can’t find any of the second flooding in Romania.

My fifth was another 80, a Green petrol/LPG this time bought to be a DD and keeping Phoenix as the over landing one but sold because two lots of road tax and insurance proved to be too expensive.

222.JPG

500.jpg

The Rock Rod - 4 wheel steer BMW engine
600.jpg

404 Unimog
700.jpg

One of far too many range rovers
900.jpg

Nissan Patrol
1100.jpg

800.jpg

The Cruiser - May favourite by far.

Going to dig out my old backup hard drive for some real nostalga now! - Series 1, 2, 2a, 3, 109 v8, Range Rovers, Suzukis, G Wagon blah blah blah

Last edited:
I took Old Trucks to read ones that you haven't thrashed to death in thread after thread already Clive.

I recon there's plenty of newer active members that haven't heard your history Chris.

Still a bit of searching on here would find most of it, that's what I did in 2012 when I joined.

I liked Jon Wildsmith's story too, his photo above brought it all back.

My forth and current is another 80 which you all know as The Phoenix soon to be resurrected yet again, this time from the water not the flames.

Can’t find any of the second flooding in Romania.

Thought I'd try to fix that Chas.

I have no photos either I'm afraid so I cribbed some stills from Helen's video...

IMG_6445.PNG
IMG_6446.PNG
IMG_6447.PNG

Some great pics. Always good to look through old pics and see what we've all owned before.

The landy was my mates and going out in that got me into the 4x4 world, had no money since.

I've had many vehicles from 1.1 fiestas to uno turbos to fast fords and even a 4.2 Daimler sovereign, got some funny looks driving that as an 18 year old lol.

Makes me worry about the future of my first 4x4 - first car ! a bog standard kzj90 4 years ago and i'm still driving it .

Found a few more in addition to the post earlier (I must get a life, or is it one life and Im living it ;) )

100_0254.JPG

Series 1 86" V8 - the amount of modifications on this car were something I just couldnt be bothered to do these days. Power Steering, Defender Axle internals in series cases, megasquirt to name a few. Ultimately it turned into a very competent off-roader but the bonnet, truck cab and rear tub were about the only original parts.

DSCF1647.JPG

Same car prior to most mods

S4012499.jpg

The "Turbo Turd" - Ugly as sin, fast as hell (relatively speaking) - Turbo Technics Conversion V8

Image065.jpg

A baggy old RR I bought as part of a deal - just abused it and killed at a play day - Never came back, straight to the scrapyard.

Image004.jpg

Nissan Navara - Purchased brand new, full service history, blew up (con rod) at 130,000 miles less than 3 years old.

Lil Cutie Oct09 [800x600].jpg

A dabble into Jeeps - never floated my boat - little old YJ.

PICT0047.JPG

Series 2 - Chassis snapped during a trial :anguished:

More to come!

Last edited:
Question Roger, you mentioned the Series I was 56", was that reference to the wheelbase? If so, that's mighty short :lol: AFAIK, the early Series I was 80" and later 86" followed by 88" :think:

(with 107" and later 109" Station Wagon/Truck-cab).

Just askin'...

Back