Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On the scrounge... But not for me this time!!!

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Okay chaps, we all have our crosses to bare... Mine are many but in this instance I have agreed to undertake one of these charitable events that might be the straw that breaks the camels back... Or legs, whatever gives out first ;-)

On Saturday 19th June, whilst many of you will be enjoying the bonfire & banter at Lincomb, I'll just be finishing the descent of Ben Nevis with the prospect of doing the same to Scarfell Pike & Snowdon within the same 24 hours...

The cause is for a local lass (to me) & everything concerned with it is outlined on the website below:

The Three Peakers

Any contributions most warmly received - I'll call you at Lincomb from the top of each peak so you know how we're doing & make sure the hog roast is up to spec this year ;-)

Cheers folks

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Made a donation Gav, but who's Pete Sandman who thanked me for my donation.
Chas

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Hi Chas - thanks for the contribution buddy, thats very kind of you.

Pete is one of my chums; he's the guy who is doing the organising for the event & who has setup the donation website. I think the Annie (the girl in question) lives in his street... There's one of those tenuous connections there somewhere :)

I hope he's changed the website to reflect me as a 'walker' for the event, not as a 'driver' as was originally being considered... Mind you, I think even doing the driving is going to be quite an effort with 3 stinky walker type folk in each car - I'll certainly be 'quite ripe' after the event :lol: :lol:

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Good luck Gav, I'll donate again if you manage it ;)

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
I'll be carrying one of those 'slow' stopwatches Jon ;-)

We did a practice climb of Snowdon as training - one of the guys said "What if we don't do it in 24 hours? What if we fail?" I said '24, 36, 48 hours - if we manage it in any of these, we'll hardly be called failures!!!'

Anyone care to donate a case of Red Bull ;-)

Rob

Garage
Done my bit, good luck. Don't worry, there's always going to be another Lincomb event ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Cheers guys - no intentions of goofing off here ;-)

Next Lincomb event, I am there whatever!!!

TonyP

Super Moderator
Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Donation made. Good luck

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Thanks Tony - hoping the gin will keep the joints suitably lubricated ;-)

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Second stage training...

Hi guys

Quick update - off to attempt Scarfell tomorrow as the second training event for the 3-Peaks Challenge in June.

Training going well tonight - two Coronas & feeling good!!! Off round to Ange & Phil's house later for their pre-house move/leaving party so I think I should be bang on track for Pete picking me up at 08:30 tomorrow... :shock:

Metcheck tells me its gonna be a hot one so better pack a sombrero :) And a 'burro' to get me up the hills ;-)

Any more for any more donations yet BTW - what a shameless plug to bump me post back to the top of the hit parade ;-)

Keep an eye on the local NW news tommorrow, just in case there's a spectacular rescue in progress - I've always fancied a go in one of them big yella whirlygigs ;-)

Cheers all
Gav

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
I survived... Just... :D

That was harder than I remember it being - we managed to get up & down in under the 5 hours allowed for it on the plan but we've got Ben Nevis to do before it next time... :shock: My 4 litres of vimto ran out on the last few hundred yards back to the pub... Erm car!!! :cool:

Oh my poor legs today :x

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
Was it as hot there as it was here (that's very hot :mrgreen: ) extra impressed if it was ;)

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Gavlad said:
I survived... Just... :D

That was harder than I remember it being - we managed to get up & down in under the 5 hours allowed for it on the plan but we've got Ben Nevis to do before it next time... :shock: My 4 litres of vimto ran out on the last few hundred yards back to the pub... Erm car!!! :cool:

Oh my poor legs today :x
Well done Gav, yesterday I was in an inter club archery match up on Epsom Downs. In total I WALKED :o just over two miles back and forth to the targets shooting and retrieving arrows and that was on the FLAT :o I was absolutely shattered in that heat, Oh my poor back and legs today
Chas

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Jon Wildsmith said:
Was it as hot there as it was here (that's very hot )
It was hot Hot HOT baby!!! Barely a cloud in the sky all day - definitely hotter than there Jon ;-)

We started our climb around 12:30 at the height of it all... Good planning fellas - NOT!!! :lol:

Cossack said:
I was absolutely shattered in that heat
Heat is a killer isn't it Chas...

The path follows a stream for quite a long way - I was dying to hop in!!! Brrrr, chilly ;-)

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
That might have had something to do with it being harder than you remembered then gav :lol:

Jimbo4x4

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Damn, why didn't I twig when you said about Scarfell? I was up in the lakes meself all weekend :roll: Green laning, hiking, mountain biking and visiting rel'ies.

My donation's down now anyways, all the best with it mate.

Jimbo4x4

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Gavlad said:
We started our climb around 12:30 at the height of it all... Good planning fellas - NOT!!! :lol:

Just thinking, I was on my way up to Ambleside from Windermere at 1pm, and my thermometer was reading 27C outside temp :!:

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Jon Wildsmith said:
That might have had something to do with it being harder than you remembered then gav :lol:
Plus, I was told yesterday that I stayed up later than I remembered on Friday night 'preparing' with the neighbours... :-(

Jimbo4x4 said:
My donation's down now anyways, all the best with it mate.
Cheers Jim, much appreciated :)

Jimbo4x4 said:
my thermometer was reading 27C outside temp
Hmmm, sounds about right from the state of my head!!! I hope its cooler in June...

Legs still sore BTW :roll:

Cheers all
Gav

Gav Peter

Country Flag
england
Scafell...

Here I am heading up the scree on the Hollow Stones route we (stoopidly) decided to tackle... Can anyone spot me?

SDC11347.jpg

Note how I am selflessly using all my mountaineering experience, bringing up the rear to make sure there are no stragglers left behind... :lol:

On the summit - Tut (in the shades) sharing out the Kendal Mint Cake :cool:

SDC11369.jpg

Looks about 27°C to me - cooking nicely...