Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One of those 'phone calls . . .

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
No.1 daughter & wife were out with the '100' yesterday - towing two horses to a competition. Daughter (Joanna) was driving - she is a Police Traffic Officer who has passed all the Police driving courses.

Then my 'phone went:

"There's a smell of burning and a funny noise from the engine. We've pulled over and there's smoke coming from under the bonnet".

So, where to start.

"Is the temperature gauge high" - "No"; "Have a look at the radiator overflow bottle it should be half full of red liquid" - "It is"; Does the engine feel excessively hot?" - "No"; are there any warning lights lit on the dash?" - "No"; "Is the engine ticking over normally?" - "YES"; "How far have you got to go?" - "Just a couple of miles"; "OK, carry on and I'll think about it".

Then it dawned on me and I tried to make contact. Eventually Joanna 'phoned back.

"Were you running with the Air-con on?" - "Yes"; "OK, turn it off and see if the noise stops".

I didn't hear any more and eventually they arrived home, all sounding fine.

"We turned off the Air-con and it went quiet".

I opened the bonnet . . . . "That'll be because the belt has disappeared then :icon-rolleyes:.

With hindsight its obvious, she was using the Air-Con and the pump seized. The belt continued to turn (it also drives the Power Heater) and eventually burned out and fell off. Ho hum, I don't suppose a pump can be repaired so it will be a call to Karl.

If I'd been there I'd have known immediately what the problem was but analysis over the 'phone - with two people who haven't a clue what they're looking at - isn't easy. I should have been sharper though :doh:.

I guess I'm not alone in getting these sort of calls.

Bob.

Bad news Bob. Probably years of regasing and replacing a/c parts without adding any oil? One things for sure, their's no oil now.

Yep Bob
Had plenty of those calls from the wife

One classic , her : the Landcruiser won’t start...

After lots of questions from me, I gathered engine turning over on key but not starting.
Another 5 mins of me asking questions, I guess could be immobiliser
So asked if the key looked ok

Her : oh, it fell apart when I was getting in the car.......

Idiot ! The immobiliser chip had fallen out,
She found it and put it back in key and LC started fine

Why do they never tell you the whole story !

Back