Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One way to test your injectors

I'm not sure what you can say about that...only he's not getting anywhere near my injectors and most likely is currently in A&E if they have such a thing in his locality

Not really a setup to test piezoelectric injectors as you need modulator with duty cycle etc but it isn't dangerous as long as you won't put your hand next to nozzle....he tested the spray pattern, he will test the resistance and that's about it, if ok put it back in. In 3rd world countries they make do with what they've got ,nothing wrong with that.

I'm constantly amazed how these places do so much with so little, working at the side of the road and all sorts!

:lol: :lol: A battery, diesel spraying all over, injector mist, lathe running, cobbled-up electrics lying in fuel overspill . . . What could possibly go wrong :angry-screaming:.

Bob (guilty of doing similar things :icon-wink:).

Spot on Bob, I've seen them welding fuel tanks in a shipping container workshop, wearing t shirt, shorts and flip flops !
+ 1, Karl. They do some amazing (and dangerous work) with excellent results.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Next time we are looking for a petrol leak with a clipper lighter so tune in for Bango Bush Mechanics

Not really a setup to test piezoelectric injectors as you need modulator with duty cycle etc but it isn't dangerous as long as you won't put your hand next to nozzle....he tested the spray pattern, he will test the resistance and that's about it, if ok put it back in. In 3rd world countries they make do with what they've got ,nothing wrong with that.
Not denying bush mechanics are amazing with what they do and get away with .....and sometimes needs must ......I've rebuilt diffs and gearboxes in mud and dust where they failed .

JCB have had common rail for years now and the injector's are very sensitive to contamination or moisture , to the degree that if we had to remove injectors we would bag each one in a zip lock bag with a good amount of diesel as we removed them... leaving them on a spotless bench in a warm workshop even for a day could result in them failing when refitted .

New injectors come in a sealed bag .... if the bag has even a slight hole we will not fit them and return to JCB .... this may seem OTT but having seen a few fail from brand new it was our policy .

As for safety..... the kind of pressures the rail and supply pipes run at will not only inject fuel through the skin but will remove a digit as though with a scalpel....
Having seen the mess that results from injection of diesel into the human skin and also been on the investigation team when someone looking for a leak on a high pressure system lost a finger I'm maybe a tad more wary than some..... we use high pressure water to cut steel... high pressure fuel finds flesh not much of a challenge and his hand was right next to the injector feed pipe ..... with a bare bit of wire and 12 volts sparking . The least he could do is get a spare injector multi plug and make up a fly lead . ;-)

It's a good practice to cap injectors, i always do that anyway whenever i work on anything. Newer JCB's are crap, i work on a few of them myself since i'm out in the sticks with farms around...
Let's assume the nut on the feed is done up ;) the quantities this pump moves will only make a mist, even if that pipe would brake off completely it still wouldn't hurt him and definitely not take his finger off . As for bigger systems you're talking about i completely agree and seen couple accidents myself, it's no joke and oil injection is one of the ugliest things to have. Had few pipes blow on me when recommissioning an old hgv 4x4 cherry picker but i always stay away from any stuff being pressurized, i like my fingers :)

Capping anything off as you remove fluid pipes has always been good practice agreed but what has changed is the tolerances that things work at....
Just capping the modern common rail injectors is not enough...they need to be in a protective atmosphere or immersed in diesel to ensure they will be OK when refitted........ you can take a chance but it's a big gamble if 2 out of 6 fail .

The time when bush fixes for a lot of modern kit is fast approaching the point when it is no longer possible ... some of the transmission's are no longer repairable at Dealer level either because of the tools required or because the many hydraulic components mean that it's impossible to test a rebuilt trans until it's back in the machine and that can be a day or mores work.

I have no allegiance to any manufacture but I'm not sure new JCB's are crap .... have you ever driven or used a 437 ? they are much more technical so therefore have more to go wrong often electrically and that combined with dairy farmers is never going to end well . However I do agree that most kit is now too tech for many users needs but regulations mean the manufacturer has no option .... in the car world it's the same.... Toyota would sell brand new 80's like hot cakes if they still made them but they won't meet new vehicle emission and crash regs and to get them to conform would mean adding a common rail engine and loads of electrics .

I like everyone else remain to be convinced that some of the so called advances in tech are actually a step in the right direction .

Tolerances have changed but diesel is the same (more or less). Never had any problems with injectors after taking them out, make sure they're full of diesel and plug feed/return, that's it, there is nothing else you can do. If they do fail there was something wrong with them in the first place or you dropped it (especially piezo) ;)

I'm by no means into heavy equipment but it's not a problem for me to fix/diagnose hydraulics, engine management or general electrics. The only thing i always struggle with is electric diagrams etc and if i need to go blind and figure out which wire goes where. I only say that they are crap as every single one i worked on had a christmas tree on the dash. If they want to put more electric into them better make sure it will all work. Won't start, won't engage gear etc. Not quite sure most of it has anything to do with regulations. I've been fixing these things without proper diag equipment after jcb techs have given up so think that's not too bad lol

I'll definitely stick to my old cruisers. For a few years i would always drive one of the company vehicles cars vans whatever wasn't in use i would grab... in 7 years i've been sitting waiting for aa more times i could count, all vehicles less than 3 years old. For me if something is unreliable when it's new what's gonna happen further down the line?

Back