Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Only had her three weeks and she will NOT start.

MRossB

Country Flag
united_states
Good battery, Good starter. It cranks hard and long but will not turn over. I can smell gas when I give the accelerator a quick pump. Do these Gasoline 4.7 V8's have traditional spark plugs? Or wondering if it's the fuel filter?

166,000 miles on it and no idea what type of fuel the previous owner used. Last week I ran it almost empty. Maybe particulates from the bottom of the tank got in the fuel line? I've only been using premium fuel since I bought it. Filled it up four times with no problems until today.

I'm not good at servicing my own cars, but I'd rather not pay for a tow truck if it's something simple I can do myself. Uggggh.:icon-eek::?::|

Have you tried purging the fuel yourself by pumping in through

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I don't know your truck but the following is generic troubleshooting you can do yourself. Someone with more specific knowledge may be along sometime soon.

If you can smell fuel its likely got fuel. Check all fuses are ok in all locations and that all the connectors under the bonnet are corrosion free and mated correctly. Check the ECU plug(s) are corrosion free and mated correctly. Check all relays are fully inserted and burn free.

When you say it will not turn over, you mean it won't fire. Does it try at all or is it just cranking?

Clear any debris from around the spark plugs, take the plugs out and look at them. Are they wet with fuel?

Leave them out for ten minutes put them back and try it in case it's flooded.

This sounds electrical to me.

Has it been jump started at all?

Last edited:
#facepalm Forgot to mention that the key broke off when I tried to start it. Not an engine problem at all. Didn't know these keys were chipped with a sensor at the ignition. Got the key replaced and it started right up. I feel like an idiot.

So you should MR…go and stand in the corner.

Thou shalt give the information, the whole information and nothing but the information when asking for assistance.

Now consider yourself told off and don't do it again. [emoji4] :)

Oh and well done for confessing on here and letting us know why.

Well, I did say it sounded electrical. [emoji4]

Didn't think of immobiliser as my after market alarm immobiliser inhibits the starter as well as the fuel (diesel).

We've all learned something, and it was something simple.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you've got this sorted, how annoying these small things can be.... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back