Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Operation 80 - Code Name : Towtruck

number76

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok, here goes!.

As a few of you guys know I had been looking and asking about for a 80, a few came up but I just happened to click on eBay and this popped up listed 5mins before! :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-lan...d=568906325195

So I called and agreed a price, the chap said he was good to his word and would hold it for me until we got there New Years day, even if the bidding went over agreed price...that does not happen much anymore, so things were sounding right...so after a few online checks (DVLA M.O.T history check, H.P.I etc) deal was made, organised and toast the new year in!.

Up early & true to his word we drove down (530 miles round trip & 9.5hrs as weather was bad, heavy rain for 95% of all the journey!) and after me laying under the chassis getting soaked on a old fitness mat with a LED torch, A few pokes here and prybar there, test drive, electrics test and all the rest the deal was done!. (After quick mid-deal call to Chris lol).

So next day I was quite busy with everything back to work stations so to speak & didn't have much time for the "new tinker time" with a new toy...but I did manage to do some basics:

11749435655_9eb416dd8b.jpg

Checked the oil (on the mark), A/T oil (on the top mark nice Red colour and no burnt smell), Rad water (right at the top, antifreeze mix ok), battery's after a night sat (12.85), then fired her up, never have I had a vehicle that does not even make a full crank then fire like this one does, its like instant!, all ok.. no rattles, clunks, ticking or anything that screams out, cool....so far.

So had the battery meters running so I could see what's what, all ok charging fine, no over charging or under (as have the dash light problem atm). Drivers side battery first...

11749675653_162ca6a3f5.jpg

Then Passenger side :

11750190096_7152a04269.jpg

A few under the hood pics, not touched anything yet...

11750199876_9419347013.jpg

11749691193_14cf544d47.jpg

11749683483_198600611e.jpg

11750195296_5c430e6d31.jpg

11749427605_1087963309.jpg

Oil pressure seems good, having a play with all the buttons and going through all the switches making sure all work, and everything did...everything!... even the rear wiper!...I did do most of this on the viewing but it was piss*ng it down and was soaked after looking under the truck for most of the time as everything else can be changed or fixed, so...bonus!.

11750348953_f36f4d9dce.jpg

Had a weird moment yesterday when first started up from cold, as from the over instant start that I had been used to it didn't fire up first turn?, 2-3 secs... tried again...had a go and next flick of the key was up and every time after too....strange, but there...200k!.. and most of everything down to the full exhaust system is Toyota still, new brakes, injectors just done and new set of BFG boots, not too sure of what else may or may not have been done as the previous owner (for 14yrs!) had his own servicing done as and when, with the oil+F done every 5k, I get the feeling that anything its needed its had, apart from the F&R diff locks not working, and that's because he didn't even know what the button really was for, and he said in the years owned never needed to used it, never used the H-L lever either!, not towed a thing, no off road, just went from Swansea to Newport 5 days a week and then with the Mrs and kids w/ends.....good good.

So apart from what's said I have not really had time to do much else really, I must admit its quite solid underneath, some light corrosion here and there, nothing drastic!, no major oil leaks / Diesel leaks, a bit built up here and there from grime and road dirt, but my Steam cleaner will sort that out and then set to some under care. I did give the wheels a quick go and was really happy with the results, the paintwork is just covered in road film, I doubt its had a wash and valet in, well...forever!, I did a small section and the finish below was very good, will come up well with a weekends work, the inside is in good general condition too, plenty grubby...but still needs a good valet and some hard work to bring it back into shape.

11749423765_cfaa6f8225.jpg

11749668943_003b7b9cc2.jpg

11750190026_b109a12703.jpg

11749420125_457ee42db0.jpg

11749837074_46c4e7d58b.jpg

I could not resist a quick test on a small part, just a very quick T-cut and polish.....was amazed there is a nice metallic Red under all that grime!.

11750185736_83773b4047.jpg

So, apart from the dash lights stuck on permanent (did try the plug in the back of the Alt but not fixed) and the mystery no fire the other day, (today was fine) its all ok for me and what I need from an LC, I need a good strong towing vehicle that's going to be ready when I need it and safe to go where ever needs be, I am going to go through the truck with oils, filters, belts and ACL's in time, as I have no plans to sell any time soon, so I have a good base to start from.

Several things are right about this deal for me, the long ownership of the guy (14yrs nearly), known history and servicing, only used in his time for commuting from Swansea to Newport 5days a week, and a family car at weekends. Not used for towing in his time owned or any off road just motorway miles, spec & colour fine with me, underneath is in good shape for 200k and 20 British winters, 2x sets of keys (poor condition but I will try and find another remote lock casing and key head) OEM manual and full original jack + tools and even two extra breaker bars with a tin of very old Toyota tyre repair foam!. The recent new injector set with new BFG tyres and brakes too with some Tax and a long MOT. The battle scars and scuffs/scratches are not a problem & I will sort them as and when.

I will be needing a few bits and I will post up a wanted ad in the section with a list.

Thanks to Chris and Andy for their time and help on the phones, and anyone else who sent a P.M.

Will try my best to keep adding a few pics and info as and when things turn up, or just for the hell of it!.

Quite a list of things to do this weekend, but must get the TVR finished first!....then time to have a play.

Thanks for now, Danny.

(Finally after a few attempts to upload the pics to Flickr!)

Looks like a lovely truck my man!!

I would say you have some sort of earthing issue causing both your non-start and your dash light problems?

Congratulations!!

Nice looking 80 you've got there, it's very satisfying cleaning them up when not been done for a while.

I remember that one on the 'bay. Similar to what I was after one for, reading your threads.
Looks nice, it really does. I love the colour.
And what a refreshing change - an ebayer who's as good as his word!

Well done Danny! Looks like a winner! :icon-biggrin:

Top job Danny, looks a great truck. here's to years of good service.:icon-biggrin:

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well done Dan, welcome to the fold of 80's ownership. Hope you've got deep pockets coz all the goodies will just keep on tempting you..

Well done Dan, welcome to the fold of 80's ownership. Hope you've got deep pockets coz all the goodies will just keep on tempting you..

Ha ha, yep, deep pockets and long arms! :lol:

Danny, I think that you have done especially well there. Prepare for some spending to get it completely square and then enjoy it.

Thanks for all the replies guys, :thumbup: very kind.

I didn't really get time to do much today, had to get some other jobs finished and just ran out of daylight and time!.

I am going to start tomorrow (as much as i want to clean it all up on the out and inside!) with cleaning and checking all the engine bay Earth's first, see if it helps with this dash lights problem I have, been sat here looking and searching but can't seem to find a definitive list or any photo's of the main Earths in the bay?, is it just the two either side of the battery's I can see?, can't be, I'm sure I read somewhere there is some under the battery trays?, be nice if someone could shout with where they are or how many and a rough location before is start so I know I get them all in one go, be great please.

I did remove the rear window wiper arm and blast & re-paint as was looking poor, came out ok. Also fixed up the key and the OEM remote locking fob too.

Cheers again for the comments.

Danny.

Danny, start by simply attaching a jump least from some clean part of the engine to the battery negative as a simply additional earth. That should show you quickly if it's an earthing issue. Engine lifting eye is as good as any.

Excellent Chris, I was just thinking about a quick check like that, heading out now, man its fresh this morning!.

Received the pics you emailed me too, thanks.

Did you see my post up on your thread about the Welder? lol.

I did. Having a welder is a good start. Difficult to learn without one. Not seen an X-Box welding game ha ha.

Back