Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Opinions on Tire/Tyre Pressure

ratchettt

Country Flag
united_states
Just installed the BFG KO2 on my 200. Toyota factory specs recommend 33 psi all around. However, the professional shop which installed them says to run, at least, 40-45. That's quite foreign to me. The shop claims they will get better gas mileage and wear on center of tread will NOT be an issue. In the past I've always used the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation for pressure.

Any thoughts?

Higher pressure will certainly get you better mpg. I up mine to 42 for long distance towing on the motorway but find it a bit skittish over bumps when solo so drop them to 36(on a 80 series). The Toyota factory specs are probably for the tyres available as OEM fitment and not specifically aimed at the BFG ‘s.

I run my BFGs at 41/42 psi on my 100 series
Covered 50k miles and they have worn very evenly still have a good 7+mm of tread remaining.
33psi probably is a best of both worlds for mixed on or off road driving but for mainly highway use 40ish psi has been perfect for me.

I run my KO2's at 45 on the road, then drop them down a lot of the road

Different tyres I know, but I run my KMs at 40 - 42 on asphalt.

33 would make them very sluggish.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I run my BFGs at 41/42 psi on my 100 series
Covered 50k miles and they have worn very evenly still have a good 7+mm of tread remaining.
33psi probably is a best of both worlds for mixed on or off road driving but for mainly highway use 40ish psi has been perfect for me.
Hi,
Just wondering if you had issues on previous tyres with scrubbing the outer edge on the fronts? Hoping if I change to BFG's it will stop this on my 100.
t
Thanks

Hi,
Just wondering if you had issues on previous tyres with scrubbing the outer edge on the fronts? Hoping if I change to BFG's it will stop this on my 100.
t
Thanks
I’m no expert but that sounds more like an alignment issue.

If it is, then is sounds like too much toe-in if it’s the same both sides.

If the problem is only one side, then a steering ball joint could be worn and have play, usually the lower one gives these symptoms.

JMO

I have my 105 at 35psi on the front and 45psi/50psi when fully loaded, maybe drop the back down if not loaded and she's fine. Done 80,000 km's like that no probs.

Back