Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OSF sidelight not working, new bulb

WoolyFox

Country Flag
england
Hi all,

MOT is fast approaching and I am getting the car ready for this event. One small niggle that has been hard to sort out is the driver's side sidelight doesn't work but dipped, full beam and indicator all work.

I suspect it's wiring or a dead bulb holder as I put a new bulb in and still no change.

Anyone got any pointers on where this fault might be? I do have the wiring diagram from the Haynes manual but it might be something simpler than wire tracing.

Cheers in advance.

Check with the bulb from the near side. Verify it works before removing, try in the offside, return to the near side and verify it works.
If the offside still doesn’t work, check any fuse that may be associated with it with a multimeter set to ohms or continuity (beep test). If ok, check the lampholder then the connector behind the light cluster (if there is one, there usually is) on the pins that feed the bulb in question. Use the multimeter on volts, you should see 12v +/- 2v. If you do, check the contacts are bent towards the bulb connections and bend GENTLY if you can towards where they should connect. Depending on bulb type, sometimes it’s a contact that’s not making contact. A simple test for this is to wiggle the bulb but this can only verify, not rule out.

Thanks for the reply, will take a look this afternoon and test the wires and such. I hope it's not the bulb holder itself!

Sometimes these things can be repaired. Test well and prove a part faulty before changing it.

Was the simplest of repairs, trust Lucas bulbs at your peril. The brand new Lucas bulb I put in had shorted and smoked out the bulb. New bulb put in, this time Halfrauds own brand, and no issues at all, sidelights now work. Front fogs still don't work but suspect the amount of sand/gravel in the OSF one suggests a seaside excursion once upon a time. Saw a pair of new ones on ebay for £80, just need to find out what the part number is for the bulb holders.

A masterclass in troubleshooting.

Test and inspect and find what’s wrong and prove it wrong before changing (or assuming something else is wrong).

It’s not limited to Lucas. Not every bulb gets tested. This was probably a leaky glass with no vacuum inside so the filament burned away the instant it was lit. It happens, whatever the make you can get a duff one. If you’re old enough, you may remember old style hardware shops with a whole array of lampholders in a board where they would test each one they sold.

Glad you found it anyway. Always worth a quick test before reassembling the lamp unit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back