Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Our first Overland trip

I was just on the same ferry this morning - been for a run, Winspit to Chapmans Pool. Purbeck remains one of my favourite places in the world - it's why I won't move away.

Are you planning on going further afield anytime soon?

We have an event in the purbecks next may, feel free to come along, (OS southern Meet)

We are based just down the road in Bournemouth, so if you, or anyone else in the area, (Bmth,Poole, Purbecks) let us know, happy to meet for a beer.

Enjoy your trip.

Amazing what's local and you don't know it!

Thanks mj, I'll keep that in mind. Just a short visit this time but we will be back. :)

Met some of the locals at The Square and Compass, Worth Matravers
IMG_9949.JPG
IMG_9950.JPG

Thanks Mark. Many ciders make good trip. Especially the Square and Compass home made kind. :obscene-drinkingdr:

Got some LED lighting in the HM roof tent.
Well pleased. :)

IMG_9952.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And for anyone who hasn't worked out where we are.
IMG_9951.JPG

Hmm, well, we had to start somewhere. And Lynn's got this whole thing about sand and camels. To my knowledge although there is sand not too far away, Dorset is not renowned for its camel population.

I remember spending 4 hours walking up many hills to try and find the caravan I was staying in after a lock in at the ship inn! Whatever the road is at the top has a bloody caravan site at the end of each road coming off of it. I even drunkenly phoned for a taxi to come and get me, not that I knew where I was going, they said they'd be a few hours. I questioned why and they told me I'd called Swansea. Doh!

All back home and packed away. :icon-cry: Had a good weekend visiting friends with no room. Stayed at the Ulwell Cottage Caravan park which, for a first stay seemed pretty nice as these things go. Lovely location, excellent facilities and we didn't get attacked by wild rabbits or eaten by bears.
IMG_9953.JPG

Lynn didn't fall down or become entangled in the ladder so that was good. :dance:She's having all sorts of ideas on where to go now. Might get a mattress topper for the tent though. Don't get me wrong, the mattress is pretty comfy, i think it will just benefit from one. She's even suggested we put the Smart on the back as a Toad but I'm not too keen on the idea yet. We'll see. I also need to get ventilation sorted in the tent as it did get a bit damp and humid in there over night.

So that's it really, our first trip. Pretty good weather wise, a bit misty this morning, but otherwise a good start. Everything worked,and we had two tea spoons. :)

Last edited:
I fitted a topper to mine Rich. It did give it a bit more depth. Good news when you've been on the pies. You can get a special mesh layer too which goes on the bottom. It prevents condensation. It's designed to go in narrow boats so I understand.

Best way to do it Rich i keep telling Helen there must be a campsite near here for a weekend because if the trailer was used the upgrades would get done .

:text-+1: on the mattress topper i got one from argos and with it being only 2" thick managed to get it inside the removable mattress cover . It makes a huge difference .

Any links to the topper supplier? We were discussing just such a thing the other day ;)

Great thread this Rich, enjoyed, thanks!

It's a good idea to do a trial run not too far from home.

I had a big smile on my face when you posted the ferry docking, it's been a long time since I was in that neck of the woods but I recognised it straight away!

Nice one, glad all went well.

Great pictures & story Rich...... your 80's looking awesome....enjoy

Thanks Dervis, I can't take the credit for the cruiser because someone (I forget who,sorry!) on here did the same, red and black and his looked so good I copied it. I've had my mirrors blacked, replaced the door top 'scraper mouldings' with black and had the wing mirror removed. Next job is to paint the screen rubber stainless inserts and get them back in. I am loving how it now looks minus the chrome, I must say. :)

Best way to do it Rich i keep telling Helen there must be a campsite near here for a weekend…
:text-+1: on the mattress topper…

I agree, we need to use it one weekend in 4 at least really. I think it's chicken and egg, the more you iron out the wrinkles, the more you use it the more you improve it.

What sort of topper was it Shayne?

May i ask in return what was that torch usb jump pack thing you got called ? nighthawk or something ?

Back