Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland Suspension set up 1993 80 series 4.2 Diesel manual

It's probably a case of Hobson's choice on lift KB. It' snot likely that you'll get + 250 without there being a lift as well. You have to get the extra coil turns in there somehow. But I agree in principle - simply lifting the truck by 2" actually does nothing other than make the tyres look very small.

Maybe overkill and a bit pedantic but I would also fab up and install +2" spacers for the anti roll bar drop links front and rear too.

I'm running the Ironman Foamcell Pro shocks on my 120 series with OME front springs, appreciate it's not the 80 series experience but I've had them on for around a year now and more than happy with how they are performing and wearing.

I will make a note of this thanks, if we`re taking it all apart any ways it shouldnt cost a great deal eh?

DwC - why do you want the 2" in the first place ? what sort of problem are you anticipating with the stock height ?

Ruts and uneven roads I presume, After a couple of years reading forums and asking questions it seems to be the standard setting for an Africa trip, Maybe that extra 2 inches makes all the difference im unsure but open to all opinions, my guess is it will drop 2 inches when fully loaded.

Well a properly spec'ced and supplied lift kit should give you the height you want at the load you want. I wanted 4" at +600kgs so when it was fitted but still empty it was nearly 6". If you buy a 2" lift then yes it will drop when you load up.

Here's mine before I put all the kit on. Remember that these are 35's. I needed a ladder to get in it.
P1010700.JPG

I thought you'd be along Tommy. Very good new to hear that IM have improved their coating. I have no issue at all with IM performance. I loved my 2" C set. I still have them. But I had the springs blasted and re coated. They still look great.

If the coating genuinely is improved than I'd certainly recommend something from their range. Not many suppliers offer that range of choices.

In my experience OME springs offer a good choice of options regarding spring rate and ride height , however the coating on them is not durable when used in UK conditions and flakes off quickly .
I will see what springs I run currently as my 80 is in a similar spec to yours for a lot of the time. I have a 2 inch lift.
+250 Kg on the rears would be about right , don't forget you have lost a lot of weight compared to a stock 80 by removing the rear set or sets of seats and your platform and draws probably is lighter than seats .

Julian probably offers the ultimate set up with his progressive +3 inch Slinky Kit ....that will be my next set up but currently Halftracks are swallowing all spare cash .

In my experience OME springs offer a good choice of options regarding spring rate and ride height , however the coating on them is not durable when used in UK conditions and flakes off quickly .
I will see what springs I run currently as my 80 is in a similar spec to yours for a lot of the time. I have a 2 inch lift.
+250 Kg on the rears would be about right , don't forget you have lost a lot of weight compared to a stock 80 by removing the rear set or sets of seats and your platform and draws probably is lighter than seats .

Julian probably offers the ultimate set up with his progressive +3 inch Slinky Kit ....that will be my next set up but currently Halftracks are swallowing all spare cash .

Thanks Grimbo, the previous owner removed the seats and built and impressive bespoke bed and stroage platform in the rear including making a very tidy job of the electronics with two solid state aircraft batteries for power. He was however a boat builder by trade and made it all out of marine ply which is quite heavy, the rear suspension is already showing signs of dropping a little. But I think +250s sound seems to be a common recommendation on this thread. If I were to mount a Winch Bar would you agree +250 all around? Ive spoken to Julian about his coil springs but hes a busy chap and getting it in there has proven difficult. He did give it the once over at the beginning though (as did Chris and the boys at the overland show), which I was eternally grateful for. Confidence in my vehicle is going to be one of my gratest assests crossing Africa.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back