Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overspeeding ......

Navraj Singh

Garage
Got in a problem today.

I was driving on the A40 and didnt realise i had hit the 50 zone. I think i was at around 80 mph.30 mphover the limit.
I have an international licence and was wondering what the outcome will be???

Anyone have any idea

I assume you got flashed by a speed camera? Officially on a UK licence up to 20mph over the limit means 3 demerit points and a £60 fine. More than 20mph over the limit means 6 demerit points and at least a £60 fine, I don't know what the standard fine is at that point though. More than double the speed limit or over 100mph generally means a court summons and an unlimited fine.

To be honest, if you were flashed by a Gatso camera there's only a 1 in 8 chance (official figures) that you'll get the brown envelope. Often there's no film in the box and other times Officer Dibble just can't be arsed with the paperwork involved. If you get it, it'll arrive within 2 weeks of the incident.

You might get lucky having an international licence and just get the standard fine, or perhaps nothing at all if it means more paperwork for the copper. A friend has a Swedish licence and a UK licence and gets stopped for speeding almost on a monthly basis. Every time she's stopped in either country she shows the opposite country's licence, feigns not being able to speak much of their language and they just wave her on!

Cheerz jimbo, that puts my mind at ease.
I was really worried.
I did get flashed by a camera

Bad luck, Nav! Unfortunately keeping a weather-eye out for cameras is part of life driving over here :?

AFAIK the fine, if one is issued, is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. The fine will stand irrespective of your driving licence. How they deduct points is a different question and might be a lucky escape. :shhh: I assume you will need to swap your Kenyan licence for a UK one at some point? Usually the insurance types get a little uptight about foreign licences over here on an extended basis and will reduce your premiums if you get a UK licence (or increase them if you don't!).

You are supposed to tell your insurance if you get points on your licence and you can guess what the insurance does in response to this juicy bit of info... :o

Hopefully it was just a close call with the camera flash!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am only in the uk for about a yr for uni. I can drive on my international for that time. There r no points but the fine will stand i think. Lets see i will post the case so u guys can also be aware

My mate also has a Kenyan driving license to go with his UK one. Everytime he gets in trouble (which is disturbingly frequent) for something he presents his Kenyan license and so far (11 years later) no action has been taken against him. It would appear that dealing with foreign licenses is to much trouble.....

Jimbo4x4 said:
To be honest, if you were flashed by a Gatso camera there's only a 1 in 8 chance (official figures) that you'll get the brown envelope. Often there's no film in the box and other times Officer Dibble just can't be arsed with the paperwork involved. If you get it, it'll arrive within 2 weeks of the incident.

Don't come to Dorset and get caught speeding if you think the camera partnership will not to arsed to invite you to a driver awarness course, they made over £Million off one camara alone and as far as I know every box is ready to get you, long are the days when they could only afford a few cameras and spread them around.

Navraj if you driving a UK registered vehicle the chances are you are going to have to pay a fine hopefully it will be a fixed penalty.

I was worried about a driving ban. My brother told me that if your over 30mph over the limit they can ban u for a period of time

Navraj Singh said:
I was worried about a driving ban. My brother told me that if your over 30mph over the limit they can ban u for a period of time

In the old days it was always said, if you double the speed limit or get caught over 100 mph you could face a ban, things change though.

This may cheer you up a bit :mrgreen: although I'm not sure its still current a couple of years ago the papers made a big fuss about foreign drivers not getting fined for motoring offences so things may have changed but it's true the camera partnerships work like a business in the UK and you may be more trouble than your worth ;)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/foreign-drivers

Back