Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Owner of a very rusty 80

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
Hi all. I bought an 80 series about 6 months ago to build in to a bit of an off roader and over lander,stumbled upon exactly what I was after - a manual with cloth seats and triple diff locks and in the same city as me! I've now learnt to never buy the first thing you look at. The body work and interior isn't bad really. The only fault in the advert was "abs light on". No mention a good foot of the chassis at the back had to be cut off and re made, I've replaced the clutch as some moron had put the plate in the wrong way round causing the springs to hit the flywheel!. Stripped the rear axle,fabricated every single mount on it as none were structural. Had to bite the bullet and buy a diff lock (had the rewire the abs to get this to work and clear abs fault). Replaced the rear springs shockers with pedders items, 2 inch lift and the 60mm bore foam fill shockers. Next task is the front axle, radius arm mounts have been bodged and there's masses of play in the cvs. Will be fitting all suspension to the front too. The list goes on but I'm hoping she'll be ready for a trip to Spain in August I've got planned with my other half! I'll upload some pictures when i have a spare hour to boot the computer haha

I started with a dog eared 100 and have done a fair amount of work to get it usable, probably still a rolling restoration.
But getting stuck in has helped me learn about my truck and now I am able to manage all my servicing and repairs myself.
Plus the satisfaction of driving something you have invested time in personally.

Here is the outcome of around 200 hours on the back axle alone

IMG_20170128_154522.jpg IMG_20170125_205515.jpg IMG_20170215_212818.jpg IMG_20170225_170420.jpg IMG_20170308_203234.jpg IMG_20170321_174757.jpg IMG_20170321_193859.jpg IMG_20170325_114217.jpg IMG_20170325_164939.jpg IMG_20170412_204150.jpg

Welcome josh,
I could have sold you a good back axle for not a lot of money.

Stick with it and it will come good. With the work you are doing to it you'll know the truck inside out when your finished.
Look forward to reading more.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Keep the faith.it will be worth it. Good work
Welcome josh,
I could have sold you a good back axle for not a lot of money.

Stick with it and it will come good. With the work you are doing to it you'll know the truck inside out when your finished.
Look forward to reading more.

Hi karl. I believe you sold me a winch bumper for the front? Not even had chance to offer it up yet! With that in mind about the rear axle I may be interested in a front one when I've got it out and assessed the situation!

Hi karl. I believe you sold me a winch bumper for the front? Not even had chance to offer it up yet! With that in mind about the rear axle I may be interested in a front one when I've got it out and assessed the situation!

Did you find a cheaper locker then mate than mine?
No problem regarding the front. Give me a shout when your ready. We have a meet next weekend if you fancy a camp out

Did you find a cheaper locker then mate than mine?
No problem regarding the front. Give me a shout when your ready. We have a meet next weekend if you fancy a camp out
450 about the going rate? Sound cheers for that. Erm yeah I'll have to talk to the boss first and see what she says. Do I just put my name on that guest list and Pay a fee when we get there or something?

Some pictures of the chassis extension and winch mount. The hub is going to be made in to a spare when carrier. Amazing what use an old micra hub has! There is one going on the other side too to mount a twin jerry can holder.

IMG_20170422_160747.jpg IMG_20170422_160529.jpg IMG_20170422_160421.jpg IMG_20170422_160540.jpg

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum!

You seem to have some major rust issues on your hands there, but with patience (and more time) I'm sure you'll get the better of it.

Don't be shy putting plenty of bracing on the spare wheel carrier (hub) mount, these things can weigh upwards of 40kg, and have quite a but of momentum behind them on the "swing".

Nice job on the axle, indeed. :thumbup:

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum!

You seem to have some major rust issues on your hands there, but with patience (and more time) I'm sure you'll get the better of it.

Don't be shy putting plenty of bracing on the spare wheel carrier (hub) mount, these things can weigh upwards of 40kg, and have quite a but of momentum behind them on the "swing".

Nice job on the axle, indeed. :thumbup:
Cheers! We go by the saying of 'if it's made of metal it can be repaired'. Yeah it's getting made of 4mm 80x40mm box section so should be strong enough. The bumper is 6mm

Managed to get a few hours in today, swing out carrier for the Jerry cans is nearly complete! Just need to make the locking system for open and closed positions. Oh and make the other for spare wheel-when will it end.

IMG_20170429_175236.jpg IMG_20170429_163200.jpg IMG_20170429_163604.jpg IMG_20170429_175150.jpg

Back