Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pacemaker headers / Pro-Speed exhaust

Had this months appointment at ProSpeed today!

Image0148.jpg

The new main silencer has two perforated tubes running through it with one of the outlets looping round with an external pipe to connect to the opposite inlet, in theory making the gas go through the same box twice ... Not sure what % gas will just blow through the packing and how much will loop but I can see the reasoning for it.

Image0147.jpg

There is also a new 11" long rear silencer, tucked up along the outside of the chassis rail in a void between the bumper and chassis. It's quite well protected by the chassis and tow bar but if this configuration stays on then when I build a steel bumper I can make sure it's well protected.

Image0149.jpg

This has definately muted the volume and is probably at an acceptable volume at the moment. It's still quite loud, but it was soooo loud before this is an improvement. Just have to see how the volume changes with miles and as I'll be doing the best part of 2k next week I'll soon have an answer to that. It definately represents another big chunk of time and effort from ProSpeed to try and get me a result I'm happy with.

I suspect what I'll need to do a little later in the year is go back and have the extra cats fitted to mute it even further but it's much closer to what I wanted at the moment.

I also still have the supertrapp I could play with.

If it makes too much noise you're driving at the back of the queue :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping this version will stay relatively tame. I also called in at BOAB on my way back and calibrated my trip meter :)

sounds like Charlie is working hard to make sure you're happy! he hasn't left you high and dry as many would.

ref lpg v petrol- there's a local chap with a 110 V8 camel with a massively tuned 4.6 in it- the only way he can get it through emissions is to run it on lpg!

you could looking at getting a dual map setup on your ecu for petrol- run a lean burn verison just for the test.

Alternatively you could find a motorsport friendly place- now i'm not saying this happens but you might think that high performance rally cars (which have to be road legal to compete) would struggle to get an MOT whilst running on 104RON funny fuel with manic cams. you may be cynical to think that what they do is find a friendly place that rolls a smaller engine cheapo car like a micra in place and test that instead! obviously this never happens an isnt worth persuing.

pugwash said:
sounds like Charlie is working hard to make sure you're happy! he hasn't left you high and dry as many would.

Yes, he is and I am impressed by that. I think the engine size / power / none turbo / headers / single cats etc combination caught him out with me wanting it quiet but I have to give him 10/10 for sticking with it on what must now be well and truly a loss leader!

I've done about 2500 miles on this latest exhaust configuration and I'd say Charlie has cracked it this time. Everyone else seems to think it's not too loud now and I haven't caught myself thinking about it much late at night powering up the hill to our house. You can still tell it's a V8 though I think :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey, good to hear its getting/got there - you have to keep a bit of noise else you'll sound like a C-5... :lol:

How do you think it will cope with the planned 'soupahcharger' though Jon? :p

I think it would cope until it was replaced with a 3" system from the Y pipe back :lol: Since my problems getting it re-insured recently I'm not sure an SC would be more than the modded 4x4 insurers could handle ...

Ah get on with you - someone will pick you up for a couple of quid ;-)

Hi Jon,

Do you think the headers and exhaust replacement made any significant improvements to performance?

Cheers
Dan

Hard to say for sure, they went on at the same time as the whole exhaust was replaced including sports CAT's. Headers alone probably won't make much difference but as part of a whole exhaust replacement I should think they do.

Sorry Jon I should have worded that a bit different to say...did the complete exhaust job make any improvement. Could you feel much difference in acceleration for example? What about any improvements in fuel economy, anything noticeable?

Last edited:
it went a bit better not loads, not sure about fuel consumption, I mostly wanted to eliminate the possibility of cracked OEM manifolds, rusty exhaust pipes and I just can't help changing things :lol: Gav is looking after that 100 now though not me.

Back