Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Paint correction like a pro - at last !!!

Shayne

Guru
9F7AC587-8FFC-443C-B839-FAE8C780D0D6.jpeg

Long story short i was in a bad mood , forgot this truck doesn't yet have wheels offset enough to prevent paint being scratched until after i scraped my way against a concrete pillar out of an underground car park where i'd been boxed in .

Not in the mood , its a problem for another day i stopped at halfords on way home and lashed some of their piss poor rattlecan paint on and forgot about it .

Weeks later google finds me a shop that will mix Toyota 202 astral black and while there i noticed cutting compound on the shelf , :think: i've tried everything and i'm never happy with the result but i've always used halfords cutting compound with my Maguiar's machine , gimme some of that .

Last edited:
Shayne that's brilliant. Do you charge by the hour .....

It came with a free polishing pad to which is far and away better than any i have used before , i actually turned the speed down from 6 to 3 , it took a while but who cares when you know your gonna get the result you want :thumbup:

Awesome results Shayne, that's it now when you start you won't wanna stop.

When you get it all done apply a good quality wax, it'll help keep it shiny and seal in your good work.

Have the urge to clean mine now Haha.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I need mine to look like that.

Patience? Ahh, now I see a flaw in the plan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183286281180?ul_noapp=true Been looking for something like this Jake , just something to put on the roof before roof rack goes on but -

And his final review

I'm probably going to swap or modify the flares eventually which is why i sprayed it with halfords paint in halfords car park with all the caution of drunk 5 year old but it should be noted that i only went out to test the new cutting compound so its still halfords paint .

@Chris , its taken me a lot of trial and error to work it out but i know now the paint has little or nothing to do with the finish , lash it on (even with a paint brush) and sand it off until it shiny is the principal , 1200 wet and dry paper is the finest i can get locally but that stuff i the bottle is 3000 grit so more than twice as fine but still sandpaper in essence .
A quick look at the Cartec website shows they go as fine as 9000 which probably isn't abrasive enough to clean your teeth with but no doubt leaves a mirror finish if you spend the time .

Shayne, I should have thought of looking up for a review, but thought at £5 it was worth a try, may be interesting to see how long it lasts in our climate, but really at that price you can’t expect the world, under the roof rack it may last longer, and if I do the truck every 3 months rather then monthly with normal polish then a fivers worth will last more than a year, and likely still give more protection than without it

Cheers

Ceramic coatings are great for keeping the paint clean and shiny. Can spend a lot of time on prep and definitely needs patience.
Can get ceramic based waxes and quick detailer too (I have a bottle in the boot of the beemer with cloths!)

Back