Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Peak District trip

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Been out for nice laning and camping weekend in the peaks, first time in a few years I've planned a route for a group and been lead vehicle, quite often a solo vehicle. Used to be out once a month with these lads then we had families etc.
Didn't get many photos as rarely got far enough ahead to get into a good place to stop and take pics.
Few last second call outside from my gate bi@#h kept me on my toes but been a while since he navigated!

Based ourselves at the miners standard in Winster and had plenty planned.

20160918_214716.jpg
20160918_214705.jpg
20160924_121035.jpg
20160924_121057.jpg
20160924_123348.jpg
20160924_123355.jpg
20160924_123402.jpg
20160924_143612.jpg
20160925_082336.jpg
20160925_082329.jpg

I recognise some of those Gary. That's my back yard.

We'll hook up and do some of them together one day. Did them at night one time. Thought, hmm, not sure of the point here but then when we did it, it was fantastic

It's been a while since I've been out in the peaks so really enjoyed it, everyone enjoyed the lanes which is good after the planning.

We didn't do the very top of my route and cut over at Eyam, lunch stop then dropped down to monsal head, nice little rocky climb.

We'll definitely get out at some point Chris, we're already planning another weekend with miners as a Base. The other lads aren't local (Birmingham, Wiltshire, Hertfordshire!) Only my passenger as lives in holmefirth!

Drove stanage at night years ago and that was interesting!!

Sadly many routes in the Peak are continually under threat from the nimbys and some have already gone. Leys Lane/Cherpit, Long Causeway closed at Stanage Pole, Black Harry Lane, all gone. Good news is that Bamford Clough was granted BOAT status earlier this year but the bad is it's still closed awaiting repairs to an exposed electricity cable....or something. School Lane at Great Hucklow still has a 1.5m width restriction due to subsidence and looks like being that way for some time. Brough Lane through to Abney has been severely 'sanitised' and is little more than a gravel track now. Boring. Still some good routes available of course, some a bit too narrow for a vehicle the size of an 80 unfortunately but as they get picked off and closed one by one it just gets harder to link them all together without lots of tarmac bashing.
I've also done a few lanes after dark recently on the Berg after fitting some auxiliary LED lights and interesting it certainly is!

Yeah a good few have been lost unfortunately, we did a couple of narrow ones and the 80 picked up a few new stripes, had a rather tight gate too that I needed spotting through!
Anything on my map in pink is a lane, dark blue is road and light blue is a road if need to cut part of the route to make it shorter. Managed to link together quite a few lanes and only a couple were flatish gravel tracks. Most had a technical bit but couldn't be anything too much as had the stock rangey with us (never struggled once) everyone had figured if mine would fit they were ok!

What was good to see on a few lanes was signs posted stating modified classification to BOAT, not flat lanes either.
We passed through brushfield and the resident was more annoyed by the group of 20 or so walkers then the 4 of us.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looked like a good laning trip

Some nice lanes down there, did some with David a couple years ago

I would happily join a group for a day / weekend if one were organised.

Back