Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Picked this up last week

The shorter one will fit, but you need to slack the tensioner pulley to its minimum and kind of “hook” part of the belt to the fan pulley, then give the engine a quick crank, Don’t start it, the motion of the fan pulley will drag the belt into the groove.

Japanese import with intercooler has an extra 20bhp or so, and more torque, makes a difference during take off and at highway speed. I have owned both the non intercooler (sold) KZ and the imported one.

I suppose that technique would work but I’ve never had to do that on any other car I’ve owned. I am surprised that Toyota would design it that way intentionally. I think it’s a rare mistake by Toyota, so I’ll carry on with the 1200mm and make the belt really easy to change - whichever works for you, as long as the service gets done.

might have a sunroof and rear heater while the luxury VX version has neither
My VX has both .The twin battery setup was part of the Winter pack , including heated seats and rear heater - i think

I guess is to prevent the belt from slipping out of those pulleys if the idle pulley loosen up. So the belt won’t jump out even with the “shortest” pulleys arrangement. I worked on a German car before and their belts are installed with a tensioner type idle pulley which you can rotate to allow easy installation but not on the old cruiser. Just my view. I remember reading something about the fan belts of these are equally tight when comes to installation.

1624372017099.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes - could be a ‘fail-safe’ strategy. Ie. difficult to get on = difficult to fall off. Thanks

Back