Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

planned trip

JeremyWright

Hi,
I am a new boy at this. Following a holiday driving in Namibia, Botswana and briefly Zambia planned for December using a hire vehicle I have it in mind to do a year + trip to Ethiopia. Briefly, I retire from the NHS in July next year and have the opportunity to go and work at a mission hospital in Ethiopia for about a year or more depending on how long I can stand it, the proposed hospital is in Gimbie which seem to be half way between the Sudan Border and Addis Abbaba. Duties would include travelling to outlying villages as would travelling about in free time. I would really value advice about routes (through Egypt and Sudan seems 'as the crow flies' but I gather there are issues about carnets) and I do not know how dangerous the Sudan is. I would value advice about routes and equipment and vehicles- I believe that the older 80 series represent better value than the newer vehicles. I have yet to acquire a suitable one but would be happy to earlier rather than later so that I can start any conversion. I have to be careful about this as a daughter is already eyeing this as an opportunity to head to the snow with her skis for the winter!!

any ideas gratefully recieved.
BW
Jeremy

Welcome to the forum Jeremy

Can't help you with the Africa questions but there are a few on here who could.
Good choice with the 80 though

Hi,
planned trip to Africa still on but dire warnings of being shot on side of road (aka Afganistan) is casing 'her i doors' some anxiety. has any one done this before. I am particularly concerned about Sudanese leg. Also in market for suitable truck and others looking for me too.
BW
Jeremy

I'm told Egypt is a nightmare border crossing with carnet fees being in the stupid region of 500% of vehicle value, although there are ways around this, and the only way into Sudan through Egypt is via a ferry over the lake.

best place to look for best info is probably on the hubb http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

Hi Jeremy
I'd recommend the book Sahara Overland by Chris Scott and would also suggest you consider attending the overlander weekend at Lincomb on September 17-19. Also have a look at the HUBB website and search under Sudan. I've not done the route [my truck has!] but understand that the Eastern route [Libya/Egypt/Sudan] is currently safer than the Western route [Mauretania etc]. People seem to write of good experiences in Sudan but of corrupt officials particularly around Khartoum.

Paul said:
I'm told Egypt is a nightmare border crossing with carnet fees being in the stupid region of 500% of vehicle value, although there are ways around this, and the only way into Sudan through Egypt is via a ferry over the lake.

best place to look for best info is probably on the hubb http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

Actually it's 800% of value of vehicle.
This is one of the big reasons many miss out Egypt.

Go West Coast.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks very much for that. I had heard about carnet fees and am not sure how you get round this. Does it mean lodging a bond and thus relatively high insurance or parting with reddy cash you are unlikely to see again. As we are bound for Ethiopia the Eastern route is clearly favourite. Apart from the adventure, we are planning to work in a hospital and having a 'truck' means that we can take a lot more with us-some of which might be useful to others. This of course increases our vulnerability to attack. I note te comment about Khatoum-refuel and push on through it seems sensible. What happens in lipcomb?
Thanks for your interest
J

Have a look at this thread here. You'll find lots of people who have probably done both routes and maybe even down the middle :o

Back