Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Plasma winch rope

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I've had my winch now for about 9 years and have decided to treat it to some plasma rope.... maybe.

What are the pro's/con's changing from steel winch cable to plasma rope?

For me, pros
Lighter, easy to handle, less risk of injury if it breaks, can join it if breaks, doesn't rust. Floats on water, can put it washing machine (when wife is out) small fray doesn't cut your hand, doesn't kink.

Cons
Easy to damage/break if rubs against something, cost, not always uv stable, can rot if left unused on the drum and wet for a long time, Cleaning it if been in mud can be a pain (see pros)

Can't think of much more currently

Yep, easier to handle and doesn't look shagged after being used once.

Okay, looking positive so far....

Is it simple enough to change, I'm guessing the steel rope is clamped onto the drum somehow?

All depends on the winch. Steel is often clamped with a grub screw. This doesn't work as well with a plasma and you can just pull the end off the drum. I drill out the hole in the drum usually, and either pass the plasma right through and simply put a stopper knot in it, or cut up some copper pipe and use a small section over the top of the end of the rope in the hole so that the grub screw crushes down onto metal not the fibre - if you follow me. Some drums have two holes. You go in one, and then back through the other. Thing is with plasma is it's slippery and if the end isn't secured well, it's hard to capstan it. I actually coated my last drum with grip tape to stop the first winds from slipping.

As Chris says depends on the winch. Some ropes I've seen are coated at the drum end to help prevent slip.

A worthwhile addition is a protective sleeve to put on the rope, usually a few quid. About 1 metre long and perfect if the rope will rub on something. I keep mine at the hook end so protects the exposed end from uv and where it rests against the mount

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again guys.

I just found this which basically shows what you have just said:-

I'm a bit late commenting on this, but all as previously said.

The drum on my Superwinch has both options, a grub-screw facility for steel rope, and a threaded hole to take a bolted on crimped eye on the end of a plasma rope.

Remember that these end attachments, are only intended to secure the rope on place, the "grip" on either type is achieved by friction from the first "layer" of windings on the drum.

Whilst having great respect for D44, I am going to stick my neck out and say that's not the correct splice for the hook end. It's perfectly strong enough I'm sure, but not the way. The end of the rope shouldn't go through the standing part like that. But hey.

I haven't been there for years, but I swear that yellow tray back was in there when I went.

Another con|:If you find yourself driving through Mongolia with plasma, expect the local nomads to ooo and aaah and attempt to shorten your winch rope in the middle of the night. Makes for good reins, lead rope stirrups etc.

Good time to put the manky old steel one back on before you leave then.

After winching the layers can jam up on the rope still on the drum, one other thing I do is to wind the rope back on criss cross it stops the windings biting in between the other layers and jamming, I have had the windings get so tight it became impossible to pull the rope out, I have had to hook the rope to something solid and reverse the truck back to get them free

After winching the layers can jam up on the rope still on the drum, one other thing I do is to wind the rope back on criss cross it stops the windings biting in between the other layers and jamming, I have had the windings get so tight it became impossible to pull the rope out, I have had to hook the rope to something solid and reverse the truck back to get them free

Yep, with you on this Chas.

It looks a mess on the drum, but it works. A nice neat "garden hose" type of loading on the drum jams like a capital F sometimes, and it always seems to be when you need it in an emergency and can't reverse the truck 'cos your up to and over your bloody axles :?

A big no no for me on that video is putting the hook under the bumper - easy to damage. I just put an attachment on the top, removes a lot of likelihood of damage to hook and rope.

hook.jpg

(Forgive the front end damage, it had a beating or three off roading last).

I have my hook underneath tbh, never damaged it, if I know where we're going isn't going to be an easy ride though I've got a short loop strap that goes on the A bar to attach the hook, usually taken the cover plate off the bumper top too.

I will never go back to steel winch cable, rope is a thousand times safer, lighter and nicer to use! :icon-biggrin:

Regarding pros and cons only thing I can think of that hasnt already been mentioned is the fact you will also have to change your roller fairlead to a hawse one. :icon-ugeek:

Tip for when plasma rope jams on the winch................................

If you already have some rope pulled out, simply put 2-3 wraps of the rope around the tube on the bullbar and while holding it firmly in place, flick the winch "Out" button for a second or 2. That is usually enough to un-jam the rope. :icon-wink:

If you already have some rope pulled out, simply put 2-3 wraps of the rope around the tube on the bullbar and while holding it firmly in place, flick the winch "Out" button for a second or 2. That is usually enough to un-jam the rope. :icon-wink:
Cheers Ben, I'll try that next time. :thumbup:

I will never go back to steel winch cable, rope is a thousand times safer, lighter and nicer to use! :icon-biggrin:

Regarding pros and cons only thing I can think of that hasnt already been mentioned is the fact you will also have to change your roller fairlead to a hawse one. :icon-ugeek:

Tip for when plasma rope jams on the winch................................

Yep, with you Ben, or wrap it around a stout stick jammed against the hawse if you don't have a Bull Bar.

Folks,
Looking at buying some winch rope (100ft) but they all seem to come with the hook already attached which I don't need, anybody know of a place or link to somewhere that sells it with out the hook???
Cheers

Odds on that David Bowyer will sell without a hook.

Why dont you just cut one off if not needed? - just use heavy duty electrical shrink wrap or a naked flame to stop fraying ends?

Back