Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poor Heat.

Barry Morris

Country Flag
canada
Have an 88 Landcruiser, FJ62, I believe with the first year 4.0 fuel injected. I live up north and my problem is heat. The hottest dealer thermostat was only a 190 F, so I did some creative mods and put in a Chevy V8 205 degree F stat. When it's around O C, or 32 F, I also block in front of the radiator leaving about a 10 inch hole. This helps, though it's still slow to heat, and on REALLY cold days, like -25 F, it's still not very warm. Anybody got any other ideas??

Welcome Barry. Sounds to me like its a flow issue through the heater matrix. This could either be the heater valve on the bulkhead or the heater matrix itself being partially blocked. Where in Canada are you based?

+1 on the heater matrix. I've not done it on a LC, but you could try disconnecting the hoses at the bulkhead and giving it a reverse flush. Sometimes an overnight soak with hot water, kettle descaler, diluted citric acid or similar and then a reverse flush helps. I've not had any leaks after doing this, but bearing in mind the age of the matrix, it's at your own risk !

Back