Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pop Top roofs

TravelToy

Country Flag
belgium
Hi all,

We just bought a HZJ78 and are now looking into pop top roof solutions.
Anyone any personal experience with Alu Cab (SA) RR Concept (France) Toms Fahrzeug (Germany), or others ?
Pros and cons, good and bad ?

Kind regards,
Chris.

Have a chat with Stan from The overlander as he has been involved with Alucab.

Also, David bought the vehicle Andrew from 4xforum built.

Hi
Yes we supply alu cab. Ive just oreded a roof for my 78 troopy.
I looked at loads of different builds at bad kissingen last month.
Pros and cons.
Some of the German builds have some good detail, but most are a lot more expensive than the alu cab, they will only fit themselves so you have to take the truck to them, the bed is in sections and theres usually around 12 months wait for one!
The alu cab is a bit more basic, but the bed hinges up out of the way, you can install yourself and delivery is within 2-3 months
I didnt go with alu cab just ebcouse i sell them, it was a factor, but had a good look at others and decided it was the best value for my particlular needs.
Message me if you want a quote
Thanks
Stan

IMG_3738.JPG IMG_3842.JPG IMG_3846.JPG IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3459.JPG
My Alu Cab conversation, very happy with the finished product.

Last edited:
The other thing to consider is how long the roof conversion will take to install. The Alu Cab comes complete ready to install, and the actual roof installation can be completed within a day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello Chris!

I build 3 vehicles in less than 4 Month with pop-tops.
2 of which came out of South Africa....
Another one with a German company.
The mentioned choices by Yourself I`d say go over the full range from Basic to FULL.
At a cost naturally!
As mentioned there are some very basic but significant differences between them. Some boil down to personal preferences. And how much grief You are willing to put up with once a supplier / importer does not hold his end of the rope.

Feel free to PM me for details & spesific advice, no need to air "everything" on an open forum :)

@ Charlie; ANy chance You could share details on the shower (?) annex?

Shower awning came from Quick Pitch Camper (Perth WA), but I believe Drifta camping & 4WD (Gloucester NSW) are also selling them.

Hello Chris!

I build 3 vehicles in less than 4 Month with pop-tops.
2 of which came out of South Africa....
Another one with a German company.
The mentioned choices by Yourself I`d say go over the full range from Basic to FULL.
At a cost naturally!
As mentioned there are some very basic but significant differences between them. Some boil down to personal preferences. And how much grief You are willing to put up with once a supplier / importer does not hold his end of the rope.

Feel free to PM me for details & spesific advice, no need to air "everything" on an open forum :)

@ Charlie; ANy chance You could share details on the shower (?) annex?

Hi SafariTecPeter,

Seems I can't send you any PM's (or I didn't find the right link).
Can you drop me a mail with some more details ?
christian DOT bailleul AT gmail DOT com

Much appreciated !
Chris.

Last edited:
Hi
Yes we supply alu cab. Ive just oreded a roof for my 78 troopy.
I looked at loads of different builds at bad kissingen last month.
Pros and cons.
Some of the German builds have some good detail, but most are a lot more expensive than the alu cab, they will only fit themselves so you have to take the truck to them, the bed is in sections and theres usually around 12 months wait for one!
The alu cab is a bit more basic, but the bed hinges up out of the way, you can install yourself and delivery is within 2-3 months
I didnt go with alu cab just ebcouse i sell them, it was a factor, but had a good look at others and decided it was the best value for my particlular needs.
Message me if you want a quote
Thanks
Stan

Hi Stan,

I'm not able to send PM's, or at least I didn't find the right link.

Very interested in the Alu Cab Hercules. Can you send me a mail with some more details ? Why you prefer Alu Cab over the others ? Price, how long you would need my truck to fit it, where you're based (I believe UK ?) ?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi Charlie,

Seems I can't send you any PM's (or I didn't find the right link).
Can you drop me a mail with some more details ?
christian DOT bailleul AT gmail DOT com

Much appreciated !
Chris.

Here is a YouTube link
, the roof could be installed in a day but it might be wise not to use the vehicle for a further day or so while the while the sealer/adhesive cures. What other information can I help with, just let me know and I'll email you.

Here is a YouTube link
, the roof could be installed in a day but it might be wise not to use the vehicle for a further day or so while the while the sealer/adhesive cures. What other information can I help with, just let me know and I'll email you.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the video !

For how long do you have the pop top roof installed ? Did you have any issues so far ?

Kind regards,
Chris.

Hi Stan,

I'm not able to send PM's, or at least I didn't find the right link.

Very interested in the Alu Cab Hercules. Can you send me a mail with some more details ? Why you prefer Alu Cab over the others ? Price, how long you would need my truck to fit it, where you're based (I believe UK ?) ?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi
Email me on
[email protected]

Thanks
Stan

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the video !

For how long do you have the pop top roof installed ? Did you have any issues so far ?

Kind regards,
Chris.
I've now had the pop top installed for about 14 months, it was installed in Perth WA since then the vehicle has been up to Cape York and currently in the Hunter Valley NSW. So far I've had no issues, I'm very happy with the roof.

The other good thing with the Alu Cab roof is its carrying capacity, I have a second spare wheel on the roof. The extra weight makes no difference to the opening/closing of the roof, very convenient.

I've now had the pop top installed for about 14 months, it was installed in Perth WA since then the vehicle has been up to Cape York and currently in the Hunter Valley NSW. So far I've had no issues, I'm very happy with the roof.

This is the kind of info I'm looking for !

There are a lot of options available, but only very few real life usage reviews.
If the fancy one breaks or has defects in the field, and the basic ones don't, then I'm happy to live with (in) a basic one ;)

View attachment 130919 Hi Chris,
A friend of mine has a 78 with a pop top roof.
Made by http://www.psp-expeditioncampers.com/product/263/0/pspdakhzj78.html and Lagrange.
Since you're living at 30 mins drive from our place (Ekeren), I could easily get you in contact with him.
This is his truck:

Hi Wout,

I know that truck and would love to see the interior and the tent, so I'll definitely take you up on that offer.
I also know Gilles from Garage La Grange and we have a meeting with him today.

Once I figure out how to send PM's I'll message you ;)

Kind regards,
Chris.

Hi Chris,
Gilles made that truck, he can tell you all about it as well. He also has the contact detail of the current owner.

Back