Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poppa Las Vegas

Looking for a good suggestion for a power steering conversion kit for a 78 fj40 rhd??

hello and welcome....

Saginaw do a PS kit which can be checked out on www.sor.com.
Or, if you are handy with electrics, it would be worth exploring electric PS assist systems used on small cars as some hot rodder guys are making conversion kits.
My truck uses HJ60 PS but it does require many modifications to fit - track rods, steering box, etc.

Regards,

Rodger

Rodger, thank you for your response. Here in the states Saginaw only provides a standard kit not for RHD. I have researched the HJ60 conversion and would gladly install it but knowing what parts to purchase beyond the power steering gear box has been the difficulty. I understand there is a company by the name of Eureka that produces or produced a conversion kit but I can not find any information on them. If anyone has this information or can list what parts to purchase for the HJ60 RHD conversion I would greatly appreciate it.
Regards

Aah, wasn't aware that it was LHD only. I've not heard of Eureka but suggest that it may be worth contacting Mr Landcruiser in Australia. I'm on an Oz FB group and he is mentioned a lot and has a good reputation. The FB group is: 40 series landcruiser Owners. If all else fails then I can do an analysis of mine with all the parts used listed however I presume you still have the F engine whereas I have a 2H from a 60 series which helps for pulley mounts etc..

Rodger

Thank you again for your reply. I found out about Eureka from an Australian mate who does videos on youtube, you can look him up as (40 Channel). I will look into Mr. Landcruiser and see if I can get some additional information. Your list would be great, my 40 does have the original 2F inline 6 but it also came with an AC so with some customizing or modifying I would think a pump could be worked out. Again thanks for your help.
Regards

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think Jayson - 40 channel - is on here as well. His videos are very good.
I will do an analysis of my PS system for you however it may take a while as we are extremely busy as the moment but I'll get it done as soon as I can.

Regards,
Rodger

Thank you Rodger I understand and appreciate all your help.
Regards
Guido

Managed to get some photos today and apologies as the trucks a little dirty at the moment - heavy rain and mud wash outs!
Start with a couple of diagrams;
60 steering diag.JPG

2nd. The pump and bracket which includes the tensioner
PS pump dia.JPG

The lower shaft fits to the 40 column joint
DSCF4153.JPG

the steering box mounts close to the rad and you may have to ease the inner wing
DSCF4155.JPG

The pulley sits out from the alternator belt and clears the fan but you will have to loose the cowl if you have one
DSCF4156.JPG

The reservoir sits at the highest point in the system - on the rad top mount on the pump side.
DSCF4157.JPG

The pump belt adjuster is part of the bracket. The pump mounts on the opposite side of the engine to the steering box. My hi-pressure hoses run under the radiator cage. Pressure is around 1150psi so use the proper hoses.
in the following pic the hose you see is the low pressure res-pump and the return pipe is also low pressure.
DSCF4161.JPG
When all the track bars etc are on you will not be able to run a pto winch.
DSCF4163.JPG

In this photo you can see the low pressure return line and the track bars.

If yo decide to go this route make sure the set up from a 60 series is post '85 as the pump design changed and the early ones are no longer available (ask me how I know!). You are probably best getting all this kit from Australia as they are RHD. If the stuff is second hand get the VIN number from the donor vehicle, if possible. Euro4x4 also supply the parts for RHD and export worldwide.

Hope this helps and if you need more info, just ask.

Regards,

Rodger

Hello Rodger
Thank you so much for your time and sorry for the late response, I had knee surgery and just haven't been paying attention to much of anything. The pictures and information will help quite a bit. Once I get back on my feet I will chase down these parts then update you on my progress with pictures. Be safe and stay in touch.
Regards
Guido

Hello Guido,
I trust that the knee is getting sorted.
Sometime ago I saw a parts list for this conversion and I will try and track it down. I think it was on one of the Australian sites that I follow but as you no doubt know tracing items that you've seen on the net can be frustrating and time consuming....
Regards,
Rodger

Back