Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Popping Knocking sound when turning.

Jebe

Country Flag
falkland_islands
Hi Again. Need a help again on my old chap prado kzj95, had a popping/knocking sound when wheel are turned to the left about 90degrees on reverse coming out from the car park. Only pop once But after that I will move it forward and reverse again on the same angle and it wont make any noise. But after sometime it will pop again. all ball joints are new and genuine. Got a new complete steering rack from milners. replaced anti-roll links and bushes too. I was thinking it is the cv joints? boots are intact and no leaks.

Hi Again. Need a help again on my old chap prado kzj95, had a popping/knocking sound when wheel are turned to the left about 90degrees on reverse coming out from the car park. Only pop once But after that I will move it forward and reverse again on the same angle and it wont make any noise. But after sometime it will pop again. all ball joints are new and genuine. Got a new complete steering rack from milners. replaced anti-roll links and bushes too. I was thinking it is the cv joints? boots are intact and no leaks.
Check the steering stops! old Nissan Navaras use to do that. it was a mystery for ages then it was discovered it was metal on metal from the steering stop. sounded a bit like popping ujs on full lock..

It sounds like a possible CV, I've just done one on a 120 (has similar setup) where the boots where all intact but once I looked at the inner CV it was dry as anything and worn to the point of chipping and breaking, the noise and symptoms were very similar.

HERE

I have also seen the bottom nut on more than one front drop link not tightened enough and the nut has backed off a bit allowing the bottom threaded section to waggle sideways and create a noise.

Lower arm/wishbone bushes are worth a look i think , i was suspicious about mine for a long time never finding just cause to replace them but eventually changed them anyway and the knock was gone .

It sounds like a possible CV, I've just done one on a 120 (has similar setup) where the boots where all intact but once I looked at the inner CV it was dry as anything and worn to the point of chipping and breaking, the noise and symptoms were very similar.

HERE

I have also seen the bottom nut on more than one front drop link not tightened enough and the nut has backed off a bit allowing the bottom threaded section to waggle sideways and create a noise.
I was thinking the same thing about the cv.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lower arm/wishbone bushes are worth a look i think , i was suspicious about mine for a long time never finding just cause to replace them but eventually changed them anyway and the knock was gone .
I might check this one too. Lower and upper bushes was replaced a year ago with a polybushes but might have a look there too as I did check it a few minutes ago and the left lower control arm bolts are not tight as it supposed to. Tightened it up and will check other one when I have time as I need to remove the sump guard to have better access to the bolt. Cheers for that.

Check the steering stops! old Nissan Navaras use to do that. it was a mystery for ages then it was discovered it was metal on metal from the steering stop. sounded a bit like popping ujs on full lock..
Both side don't have rubbers on the steering stop. But it only do the knocking when the wheel is turning left. Would try to put some rubber to check that one. Cheers

Both side don't have rubbers on the steering stop. But it only do the knocking when the wheel is turning left. Would try to put some rubber to check that one. Cheers
Ok mate . It was just a long shot, But I remember Nissans solution to the problem was supplying rubber pads.. and when my Navara first did it I thought Id broken a half shaft.. it was that bad.. Lets hope all you need is some little rubber pads:thumbup:

I suggest grease, rubber or other material will tear and be rubbed away in a short time

How are the Falklands these days? I went on a two week vacation there in the early 80s. Pissed it down the first week.:shh:
Hehehe well I believe a lot has changed from when you have visited. Plenty of establishment and businesses are booming. The population swelled as well. I work on the spare section of Falklands4x4 here in Stanley. Tarmac road I believe increased it's length. I think 4% are tarmac :D

I might check this one too. Lower and upper bushes was replaced a year ago with a polybushes but might have a look there too as I did check it a few minutes ago and the left lower control arm bolts are not tight as it supposed to. Tightened it up and will check other one when I have time as I need to remove the sump guard to have better access to the bolt. Cheers for that.
Update. Tightened the left camber bolts and the knock was gone. I did put a grease too on the steering stop as there a s slight knock on it too.

Update. Tightened the left camber bolts and the knock was gone. I did put a grease too on the steering stop as there a s slight knock on it too.
Top Man. Lets hope that's a fix... the cheap ones are the best. Just carry a spanner and grease gun with you.. Sorted:thumbup:

Back