Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Porous rear diff???

Bummer. Worth a try anyway.

The budget option might be to try using some chemical metal over it if you get it clean enough. Chemical Metal worked on mine, but my leak was at the base so the slightest tap off road and the chemical metal skin cracked.

If your leak is as high as the photos suggest, it should work and it's out of harm's way. My mate had a similar high-up leak on his Ranger's rear diff and the chemical metal worked very well and lasted for years.

Thanks again all. :thumbup:

I'm going to give the epoxy putty/chemical metal a go, as a temporary solution, otherwise the truck is next to useless and I'll just end up worrying about it. Nothing to lose.

If that works, at least it will be usable until a more permanent solution is sorted.

Last edited:
Update....again!

Had some time on my hands between work (WFH today :icon-wink:) , so drained the diff, prepped the area and then used some epoxy putty on the rear face of the diff. Once that had gone off, took it for a test drive - no leaks! :thumbup::thumbup: :dance::dance:

So gave the whole diff casing a coat of Hammerite for good measure. Hopefully that has resolved it temporarily so that I can make a more considered decision.....:think::think::think:

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice.

Well just over a year and about 5k miles down the line and the diff has started leaking again .

It may have been down to me checking the oil level recently and the simple act of removing the fill plug may have disturbed the epoxy - not sure but a bit of a coincidence. The vertical rear surface of the diff was dry as a bone previously (and I would check every couple of weeks) but now has a streak of oil running down the middle.

Will need to clean it up and take a closer look and perhaps a more permanent solution - ho hum. :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back