Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Portable Ice Maker

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Does anyone on here use or have any experience of using a portable ice maker.

Any information would be useful as I'm considering getting one for the essential "G&T time". They are quite large pieces of kit and far from essential, but as I now have the space and payload capacity, I thought, why not.

TIA

Yes. Portable, cheap and so far worked on every continent that I have visited. I think they come in different colours too

Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 18.22.59.jpg

As per Chris really. Or just buy bagged ice and keep it in your freezer. You need stable ground for an ice machine otherwise the water ends up everywhere depending on which model. Plus if you’ve ever seen inside some ice makers (mold etc) you’d never have ice again!

What about a fridge/freezer from a caravan? Mine is 25 years old now and still makes ice easily in the icebox. It’s the absorption type that runs on AC, DC or gas. Obviously not all that portable as regards carrying around though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You try buying bagged ice in the middle of the bush!

As for your suggestion CJ :violence-rocket:
I was suggesting taking it with you but I do see you’re clearly on a different level here.

Thanks SC, I wasn't thinking of a fully plumbed in version. I've had those before in various craft, but more of a small table top type that makes small cubes pretty quickly.

Like this:-

Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 22.17.04.png

How much G&T you thinking of necking there Old buddy, Old pal - or are you just getting ready for me to come and stay?

Save's clogging up the freezer with ice cubes and others are always extremely grateful for ice when they've none.

Ice for my G&T
Ice for cold drinks
Ice for iced coffee
Ice for Martini's
Ice to keep the Beers cold
Ice for my Water

Then of course, you'll turn up to stay.

Soon runs out 'ol bean!

Are you looking for this to be 12v or 240v Lazz?
I appreciate the neatness and elegance of a dedicated machine, but in the same space you could put a smaller sized Waeco, Engel unit turned down to freeze filled to the brim with cubes. 30 l of ice is a lot. In terms of making ice on the road, I use those polythene ice bags, not trays. Yes yes I know you want a machine, who wouldn't but a freezer has more than one use, probably cheaper, more reliable in terms of banging and bashing and runs 12v or 240v

I will have an additional 35l in the cab, but I've done the various types of ice making, from silicone trays to the ice bags.

Trays 12 cubes every 24 hours.
Ice bags make crappy small ice cubes that melt as soon as they are put in the drink.
Bags of ice can't be bought in far-flung places and take up too much freezer space.

Machine can make proper bullet ice in about 10 mins. I don't have a 230v problem as I have more than enough capacity on board so running an ice maker for half an hour will make plenty of ice.

There are loads of videos about these machines and they seem to work. Also pretty cheap. The NL is about £120

Somehow - I don't think buying bags of ice in some regions would be good idea... you never know where the water came from... I know it's not as bad as it used to be and you will have your own karsy on the truck....

The other option... and this might be tad 'out there' .... but some people use large (not too large) ball bearings or suchlike - bung them in the freezer and they are good enough to cool a drink or two... personally never tried it... clean off any bearing grease first though... LOL

Reusable too..... LOL...

I have those gel filled plastic re usable ice cubes and ....they're rubbish.

Lazz, ice in 10 mins, 240v and plenty of it - I think that sounds the way to go. £120? Ha get me one.

I'm sold.

Next problem is how to carry enough gin!

Isn't that what the long range tanks are for?

I have those gel filled plastic re usable ice cubes and ....they're rubbish.

Lazz, ice in 10 mins, 240v and plenty of it - I think that sounds the way to go. £120? Ha get me one.

I'm sold.

Next problem is how to carry enough gin!

For $90, looks suspiciously like the Nat Luna. Like many electronics, I guess a couple of factories make them and just white label.

Yes we know what ice is for. Jesus these people who do reviews of their life. Does it make ice, how quickly and is it any good? 2 mins in and we're finally getting somewhere..Oh spoke too soon..
OK it makes ice but doesn't store it . . got it move on..
4.5o in and we're putting water in....
Ice in America is very very very expensive clearly. He's saved a fortune.
Taking water and freezing it apparently an ingenuous way of making ice.
I'd prefer solid cubes myself. Loose too much gin in the holes.

Ice cold ice... holy crap.

Meh, quite a neat thing. But you still need to freeze the cubes or drink very quickly before they melt in the machine! If you leave it running, do they melt back into the tank and go round again and again and again...

Yes, I get all that, but one never runs out of ice see !

Back