Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possible fuel issue. New member

2000Prado

Country Flag
ireland
Hi Guys I’m have and issue with my auto 2000 landcruiser prado with the 1KZ-TE engine. At first I thought it was the transmission but now it’s think it could be fuel. So when I’m driving along I will have little to no power when pressing the pedal then all of a sudden it would just take off out of nowhere, also when I hit around 80kph the engine light comes on but but if I bring back down the speed below 80 again it will go off and then it could drive ok again. I’m lost as to what it is it’s very unpredictable. I have read on here about SCV’s solving similar problems. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

A boost leak , took me ages to find mine and it was in the crank vent

Thanks for the quick reply, was your engine light coming on also?

Yep that was the earliest indicator that there was a problem . It had to get a lot worse before i worked out that the bottom of the pcv pipe was split because the problem was so random . Accelerating hard uphill was the first time i seen the light .

I could be wrong but its a cheap and easy thing to rule out .

What pipe is that have you any link for one? Or location of it? Sorry now not too well up on it I only bought the jeep a few weeks back ‍♂️

You can see where it attaches at the top on this

Attachments

• 1653654876051.png
    1653654876051.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 34
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So did mine until i removed it .

But the pipes coming off the fuel tank tend to corrode letting air into fuel so there,s the next place to look .

Might be worth running fuel from a bottle direct to the pump which will tell you one way or another if its a fuel problem before the pump or in the pump .

Ya so the jeep is at my local garage and my mechanic is saying it’s bringing up fault codes for cam timing and the other is timing control, could be one problem or mabey 2. Not resolved yet but I’ll post here when we have it sorted.

So my jeep is still in the garage have had the ecu checked, new pump and injectors and a few other bits and still not resolved. It’s over fuelling for some reason and lots of black smoke. I lost as to what to try next ‍ Nightmare

No way , the garage must be loving you .

You can turn down the fuel yourself easy enough .

Ya loving me I’m sure Where can you turn down the fuel on them?

1670277742156.png

That rusty little cap will pull off with pliers and underneath you will find I think its a 6mm nut locked in place with a 10mm nut .

Loosen the 10mm then screw the 6mm all the way down anti clockwise .

You should find then that your truck runs without smoke but has little power . So pull the cap again and turn the 6mm nut just a fraction clockwise and test run again .

Keep doing it until your satisfied that the last turn didn't add any power so turn it back a fraction and your done , full power without wasting fuel .

DON'T over do it , you can end up with a runaway engine set to detonate so be patient .

As soon as you have worked out where the screw is its a 2 minute job to adjust .

Thanks for that Shayne I said it to my mechanic. He is saying that my egr valve isn’t working properly do you know anywhere I’d get one? It’s different to the European landcruiser. Or would anyone on here know one being scrapped? Thanks again

Why would the garage change pump and injectors because of an egr problem when cleaning the egr is regular maintenance ?

Block the egr with a blanking plate and clean the throttle body butterfly .

Thanks again Shayne, sorry for the stupid question now but can it run without the egr if it’s blanked? He sent off the pump and injectors to be tested and they refurbished them as he tough that could be the issue. I don’t know enough about it to be honest. ‍♂️

The garage is guessing mate , most expensive first coz your paying for it .

Get the truck back i think should be your first move , blanking the egr is an age old modification most do themselves and no mechanic worth his salt would stumped by the idea .

Cleaning the throttle body butterfly really is something you could ask kids to do , simply undo bolts until it comes off , clean it , and then it will only fit back together correctly . A jigsaw with 6 pieces if you like .

Blanking the EGR is as simple or as difficult as undoing two nuts , blocking the hole with a metal plate and putting the two nuts back on .

The nuts are a bugger to get to and mine were rounded making it far more difficult than it needed to be , but again no skills are required to have a go at it .

Note i'm no mechanic i was as clueless as yourself when i first got my 90 series cruiser and joined the forum . I learned it all here .

Back