Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possibly found a BJ40

Paddler Ed

Garage
Country Flag
australia
Hi All,

I've been lurking around here for a while having owned an FJ73 in Australia, and got bitten by the Land Cruiser Bug.

Now managed to find a BJ40 over here that needs some TLC; it's got an MOT until May '13, but no tax... What is there to look for on them? I know on the 70's if they have a metal roof the gutters go and if you don't get a wet right foot when driving then you've got a good one (the bulkhead rusts and then it drips on your foot... discovered that one with the 3 work 'Cruisers, mine didn't though so I felt a bit smug!)

What I'm thinking at the moment is:
-Roof Gutters
-Bulkhead
-Crossmembers
-Inside the doors (both front and the tailgate)

Any thing else?

I'm reasonably happy with mechanical bits, as the knowledge here and in Aus is good, but the metal work may be more of a challenge!

The price at the moment is £4.5k, but I think that's a bit steep, so I'm trying to work out what to offer for it that isn't an insult.

Thanks, and hopefully back into the land of Land Cruiser Ownership soon!

Is it a red one? If so it was mentioned on here recently. Was bought from eBay and then flipped almost immediately and advertised for 4.5k. If memory serves me it is now advertised Leicester way. If it is the one then you know there is a fair bit of room for negotiation.

Thanks guys; yep it is that one.

Now advertised here by someone with a very Leicester/Bradford name...

From email correspondence I'd say the price is negotiable downwards. Having looked at the original ad it doesn't look that great, with a fair amount needed for the roof and back doors.

I think I'm going to give it a miss, unless the guy can come down a lot (£1500 a lot...)

I suspect that he will have trouble selling it as he wants the top end of the prices for them really; had he bought it at a car auction rather than on eBay he may have had more chance at making money, my feeling is that eBay is retail price for cars (even as an auction) whereas the proper auctions are trade price.... just look at how much gets sold at Brightwells or similar and then ends up eBay or Autotrader for £1k or so more.

£4,500, thats serious wedge for a project!

They are nice looking though, especially that rear view.

Pete

He didn't like my valuation of a lot less than he was asking... oh well...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
how much is the irish fella asking for. the Leicester chap will not get 4.5k for it. I was offered that one before it went on fleebsy. I refused as I already put a deposit on another 1.

I Know the chap who is selling it. Hes a decent chap but i think it does want quite alot doing. He offered it me but my offer would have been to tow.

Back