Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Posting Pictures:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Folks,

My Photobucket membership renewal is due - but they are now wanting $400 for allowing pictures to be linked to other sites :shock:.

I have seen comments on this hike before and it seems to be having an impact on a number of Forums.

Basically, I'm not prepared to pay $400 and I'm about to tell them to delete all the pictures on my account and then close it. I only upload pictures I wish to share on car and motorcycle club sites so I'm not using them for photo storage (I have a few TB of backed-up pictures on my own computer :icon-wink:).

How do other folk share pictures ??

I'm looking at Flickr, but they seem rather restrictive and I don't know what it costs. I used to pay around £50 p.a. to Photobucket for increased storage and some other features which seemed to be quite costly for their dreadfully slow and advert-ridden system.

Advice/experiences please :?.

Bob.

Hi Bob, I'm not a member of other forums, but with this one, I see no need to use a file-share "third-party" at all.

It may not be helpful in your circumstances, but I keep all my photos on a remote hardrive, and upload them into posts using the "upload a file" function at the bottom of the post text box.

The result is just the same as using a hyperlink, but without the fees.

For this forum ... you can just upload them directly by hitting "upload a file" button below.

For sharing photos not on forums for with family and friends I use google photos. I'm not sure if they support linking to forums or not though ...

Here is a test for it ....

g-XWE7-h_bWOvqKNp2Cthu5cLXItpyh-LX65GOc1-7cFOEYw39iZ9iav7m6DOxLN1k2jU0PZOSEWDKpAuo9=w644-h640-no.jpg

As a test, and I'm using my iPad at the mo, I saved your image Grant, so now I can upload it as my own...

IMG_7364.JPG

Job done.

Thanks for confirming that it works Clive.

So it looks like you could use the free version of google photos (which limits resolution) in place of photo bucket. Or pay the small fee to have full resolution photos backed up.

Thanks for confirming that it works Clive.

So it looks like you could use the free version of google photos (which limits resolution) in place of photo bucket. Or pay the small fee to have full resolution photos backed up.

By saving and reposting, I presume you maintain the resolution of the original...

No need for Google or anything else IMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
By saving and reposting, I presume you maintain the resolution of the original...

No need for Google or anything else IMO
For this forum I agree. I hate it when viewing an old thread on a forum and none of pictures work as the person has taken them off their account. Uploading them directly preserves threads as they should be.

Although it's not fashionable to admit it, I really like the sharing ability of apple.

I take pics on my i7 phone and they appear on my iPad, and my non-apple Windows platform laptop, automatically.

If I take pics with my old camera, I copy them onto the laptop and email them to myself, open the email on the iPad or iPhone, and they automatically share between my devices.

Android probably works similarly, but I wouldn't know...

Although it's not fashionable to admit it, I really like the sharing ability of apple.

I take pics on my i7 phone and they appear on my iPad, and my non-apple Windows platform laptop, automatically.

If I take pics with my old camera, I copy them onto the laptop and email them to myself, open the email on the iPad or iPhone, and they automatically share between my devices.

Android probably works similarly, but I wouldn't know...

I use google photos (on iphone 7) for the exact same thing - they are just a bit cheaper for the storage costs. The experience isn't quite as smooth as using the native option of course ... but I find it hard to fault over all.

SmugMug is a good option.

PhotoBucket hacked off a lot of "customer" by what they have done but really, I don't much blame them. Storage and bandwidth for those volumes must cost a bit. When people only used them for hot-linking, they could not even get the revenue from adverts.

DropBox did the same recently.

I cache images here so even if they are hosted on the likes of PB etc, they don't get affected here. :D

As for uploading here - I've no intention to change it at the moment so keep uploading and to your gallery / threads etc. We love pics :)

SmugMug is a good option.

PhotoBucket hacked off a lot of "customer" by what they have done but really, I don't much blame them. Storage and bandwidth for those volumes must cost a bit. When people only used them for hot-linking, they could not even get the revenue from adverts.

DropBox did the same recently.

I cache images here so even if they are hosted on the likes of PB etc, they don't get affected here. :D

As for uploading here - I've no intention to change it at the moment so keep uploading and to your gallery / threads etc. We love pics :)

Good man Cris, and it's time I had a sort out of my albums on here...:whistle:

Thanks guys, I'll look into smugmug and Imgur. Not all sites like photos uploaded directly because of the storage overhead but its good to know that its OK here:thumbup:.

Bob.

Back