Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80's Rule

Country Flag
australia
Hi All,
I Have an 80 Series and have a issue with power drain. As I'm only new to Landcruiser's having up graded from a Pajero I'm not savy on the landcruiser related problems so some help is needed please.
My 80 constantly drains the battery I have removed everything that isn't standard including the second battery and controller as it was flashing a error code of overcharge. Are there any common issues with 80 Series that cause this !!!!!

Not really, Duff batteries in parallel will soon discharge. Have you had them tested by a battery centre?

Over what period of time are we talking and does yours still have the twin battery 24V start?

Is it an alternator fault. A good one should not overcharge.

Also look at the relay for the inlet manifold heater which give trouble. Located under the air cleaner side battery tray.

frank rabbets; said:
Is it an alternator fault. A good one should not overcharge.

Worth testing the charging voltage across the battery with the engine running just up off idle (on the hand throttle is good) which should be between 13.8 volts and 14.4 volts.

If it's been overcharging it can overheat the battery, causing damage possible explosion and possible excessive production of hydrogen or more likely eggy smelling hydrogen sulphide.

frank rabbets; said:
Also look at the relay for the inlet manifold heater which give trouble. Located under the air cleaner side battery tray.

Is there one of these on an 80 Frank?

The inlet manifold heater relay was/is on the later 24v 1HD-FT engined models only. The intake heater replaced the glow plugs of the earlier 12v models. The relay was the subject of a recall ISTR but some got missed, as did mine. The relay was toast when I removed it.

Thanks TP, that explains my confusion (mine being a 12 valve)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi and welcome. The diode pack/regulator in the alternator is first port of call on a difficult to find power drain. Regulator controls charge rate and the diode pack trims AC to DC, if a diode (one way street for electricity) fails it will allow batteries to discharge through the alternator.

regards

Dave

Back