Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power Loss when accelerating

garygiles1963

HI

Need some advice.

I'm losing power when accelerating. It 1st starting happening just over a year ago but it was very random and didn't happen again till recent. I was hoping the recent full service would fix the problem but it hasn't. It dose go away once once the engine has warmed up.

The best I can describe it, when I put my foot down to take off the engine would rev up and start to pull away as the revs build up more, there would then be a sudden drop in rev's. It will then pick up again, either by putting my foot down or lifting it off.

This is just a feeling, I could be being a twit, but it feels like it not going to change gear or its changing gear late. Hope that makes sense.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Gary

Injector feed pipes loose somewhere letting air in when cold. Perhaps at the joints on top of the diesel pump?

Thanks guys.

Does sound like it might be a SCV issue. I'll look at getting it replaced in January.

G.

Hi Gary - same problem here lately... have you had any progress with it?

Mine too feels like its just on the point of the gear change - it dips instead of changing.

104,000 miles and it's first "real" fault.

(... walking away quietly without drawing attention to the fact I'm looking up to see what an SVC is)

yeah scv... hmmm.. 'spensive... hope not.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi

Just got a replacement SCV kit from Rough Trax today. I hope to get it fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Will let you know the results.

G.

Just reading through this post...

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/my-150-losing-power.136774/

... talking about filters getting blocked by uk winter fuel etc on the 150s (fuel heaters being required).

Anyone know if this might be relevant to newer fuel filters on a 120 supplied by Toyota?... would explain a multitude of dipping revs and power loss issues. Timing would be about right for me (new filters installed at the end of summer).

It could of course just be a 150 filter issue - but there is talk of it being an issue across the Toyota range.... so I thought I'd throw it out there in case it triggers a thought in someone's mind.

Back