Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power Steering Failure and Leak

MarkW

Country Flag
morocco
Driving home last night and the steering started to feel a bit off then turning into the drive there was a complete lack of power assistance. Had a quick look underneath to see a lot of fluid leakage.

Quick look this morning and and the rack is damp around the big D bush rather than around any hose or pipe work. Any common failure points to look for when I get underneath again?

Not the best pic but the leak appears to be behind the bush. No dampness on the hoses or either end where I assume there would be some sign if the internal seals had gone
DC7CDE73-722F-4A2E-9345-C5EFB27AFA3D.jpeg

There's nothing behind the big D so that's coming from above or squirting there under pressure , its very easy to trace the fluid lines along the rack and up . Top it up fire up the engine and have someone turn the wheel lock to to lock should find the leak real quick .

2343950F-5272-49C8-AAB9-2F88D5F22F2C.jpeg

When I saw the fluid last night I assumed a hose or seal.

Now stripped the guards off and had a look there’s no sign of leakage above the rack or on any hoses.

Just topped the fluid up and ran the engine and it pours out from behind the bush. I’m guessing a t the moment that the bush is worn and some grit between it and the casing has worn a hole. I was just about to order new bushes as well.

Bugger !

I'm thinking it's just a tube where it's leaking so maybe it could be plugged with JB weld , what's the worst that can happen - same as what happened when you lost power steering last night i guess .

One of those times I wish that sodding bracket and bush was easier to remove. If I could see it must just need a small weld to seal the hole.

If not it’s probably a new rack needed!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It needs removed whichever way you look at it , my roughtrax rack has proven itself a good buy .

3122F980-BB93-4259-A1CD-D8E56390244C.jpeg
Found the leak

Right on the bottom of the tube behind the bush. Looks like corrosion wit a bit of rust scale on the bottom half of the tube.

Whilst checking I noticed despite being 19 years old the bush wasn’t allowing any of the normal movement associated with a worn one. I guess the formation of rust scale took up any wear.

I guess there’s a possibility it can be welded and plated now I’ve found it

Now most of the remaining oil has drained the hole visible and it’s just a small pin prick. However the corossion seems to have left some clear deformation of the tube. Could be that the rest of the area is now pretty thin and more pin pricks may appear later on.

If you weld it you will have to completely strip it down, or it is very likely you will melt the seals and need a new rack anyway.

"Enthusiastic bodger friend" awesome

Lol he’s a reasonable mechanic but then at the same time comes up with a spectacular bodge.

Highlight was blowing up a 300bhp Impreza and then discovering the new race bearing he’d fitted in a box in the workshop .

Has any fitted a Milners rack? £100 cheaper than roughtrax seems like a decent price when you tight on funds

Back