Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power steering hoses replacements

mussy

Hi,

My Blue one is at the mechanics and they say the power steering hoses are leaking as they are old and porous. Not sure if this is a crock of sugar but that is what they say.

They are suggesting to change the hoses,. Is there a kit for this or does anybody know the part numbers?

Thanks as always.

Hi,

My Blue one is at the mechanics and they say the power steering hoses are leaking as they are old and porous. Not sure if this is a crock of sugar but that is what they say.

They are suggesting to change the hoses,. Is there a kit for this or does anybody know the part numbers?

Thanks as always.

I think there’s only one hose that’s really important and that’s obviously the one that goes from the high-pressure side of the pump to the steering box.

It’s quite long and composite, metal, rubber, metal, rubber again and ending in metal. At every connection between rubber and metal it’s a crimped joint, so unless you have sophisticated equipment it’s not a job for DIY.

I’m not going to try to give you a part no because firstly mines a LHD HZJ and I wouldn’t trust it to be the same hose (but I think it is), and of course, from Mr T it’s hugely expensive.

With no chance to find anyone trusted to make one up, I bit the bullet and handed Mr T the major part of £430 (equiv).

Depending on where you live, I'm sure you could find a local workshop or a construction equipment repair shop to take your old one to, as a pattern, and get one made up for 1/4 of that price or less.

But surely, if your pipes are leaking, your have some drips...?

I've had the low pressure side of the circuit replaced, but that's an easy DIY, ATF proof rubber hose and jubilee or similar clips.

I've still got a leak but apparently that's leaking gaskets/seals on the pump, it's going in the workshop tomorrow morning for that, coincidentally :dance:

Last edited:
I think it's this one with the red arrow...

304D83EF-0CFF-452D-84FA-6F2FB1068EA2.png

Sorry for the crappy photo...

We may be looking at a LHD for Mark here so you could be on the money with that pic Clive.

Anyway, as Clive says, if you find a good hydraulics workshop they can cut the special ends off, braze standard connections on and then make up a standard hose to go between. I had this done on my Shogun as that indeed developed a weep.

From what I researched earlier this year Toyota use some hard to source ends on the ps hoses.

From what I researched earlier this year Toyota use some hard to source ends on the ps hoses.
Which is why cutting them off at the hose end and brazing them onto standard threads works so well. It then means if you have a hose go, any hydraulic workshop can run one up for you.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Actually, when mine failed, one of the crimping let go, man that didn't take long to drain out the system, about 1 millisecond I'd guess, all over the engine, BLAHHHH :lol:

Most unfortunate and unusual Clive.

I have a feeling it was a replacement hose before my time, Rich.

If it was, it lasted at least 12 years and 210 k km... being the time and distance I've had the truck...

Back