Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power steering question

Cardo

Garage
Country Flag
grenada
cooler assembly.jpg
Hi fellow cruisers. The cooler assembly on my LJ70 for the power steering is corroded. I have had it welded up once but its started leaking again so I guess I will have to take it off and weld it up again as there is no way I will source one here on the island. Could I get away with just having a long piece of rubber tubing ie extending the tube that is on already that joins to the cooler assembly or does it need to be metal for cooling purposes.

A rubber hose may get you by to use the car but ideally a new cooler would be preferable.
If my info is correct the part you need is available from Amayama in Japan, they will ship direct worldwide without going through the dealer network.
Usually I get parts within a week or so from them, the part you require is $78 but you will need to budget for shipping and some clearing/ import taxes etc.
Ordering direct from Japan is nearly always cheaper than from Toyota even with the extra costs.

Thanks for the reply t1pper. I will check out Amayama. One of the problems we have here is a very high import duty. About 70% on item plus postage added together so by the time we get it it has usually more than doubled in price, I am going to see if I can construct one out of metal tubing first.The biggest problem as I see it is making the bulbs on each end that goes inside the rubber hose. I'll post my result here. Thanks for your help.

You won't need to flare the ends, it's on the low pressure side of the power steering. You may be able to adapt a P/S cooler coil from another vehicle, they are very common. Two cars off the top of my head that have one you could use are BMW E46 and Mercedes Sprinter. These are also made from aluminium which would get rid of the rusting issue also.

Oh Cheers guys. That info helps a lot as I am going to have to adapt something to fit. Good to know that its low pressure. All the best!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back