Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poxy Terraclean

Nobbymogs

Country Flag
wales
so yes had it done as recommended please dnt say why did i do that ..................

anyway starts like a bag of crap now when cold since having it done
we got a few things it could be and done a bit
it washed the bores and stuff clean loosing compression (put in wynns stuff to try and help)
it washed tips off glowplugs (changed them a little better)
its damaged injectors
dodgy glowplug relay
Apart from that im stumped

the guy in the dealer said it was dirty fuel filter changed it to be safe even though i knew he was full of crap

help please

Did you have any problems before the terraclean?
What was the reason that made you chose terraclean?

no problems before just heard it was good and as im keeping the car thought id try and look after it badddddd move

Start with the obvious and work from there.
Check there's 12v (or thereabouts) to the glow plug busbar when cranking. Try pumping the primer on the top of the filter during cranking. Did Terraclean disconnect anything they haven't reconnected? There could be a partial air lock in the fuel lines. How does it run at idle and above 1000? Any smoke? What colour? Fit a transparent pipe between filter and pump. What engine is it? If it's a 1KZTE, check the spill valve.
Disconnect the busbar from the glowplugs and test across each one on ohms, should read very low figure on each one. While disconnected remove all of them and compression test each cylinder in turn. Should be even across the cylinders within 10% at around 500 psi or thereabouts.

That should give some idea as to what's happening.

everything is spot on apart from cold start tried loads of stuff next on list is injector overhaul

…tried loads of stuff…
Any chance of listing what you've done to help others and perhaps help us to help you?

What has lead you to suspect the injectors when it runs fine?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My mrs starts something terrible for all sorts of reasons but that doesn't tell us much about what's happening ?

Is it just slow to start or does it fire up coughing and spluttering , any smoke ?

slow to start and coughs ad splutters like no glow plugs but they are new and working we think it could be spray pattern on injectors

I took my 1998 collie to a place hoping to have injectors overhauled but they said nothing runs that well with dodgy injectors and so pretty much refused to do it . So i let them do a Terraclean instead which made absolutely no difference whatsoever .

I can't imagine it doing any damage though :think: maybe while cleaning out the egr crap its left your intake sensors in a poor state ?

I would try tweaking the pump as well turning the fuel down a little maybe , keep note of where it was , it doesn't take 2 minutes to alter so you have nothing to lose by seeing if it flukes a fix .

terraclean is shit waste of money my egr is blanked off intake sensor ive not looked at that yet

dnt know how to tweak pump tbh as ive got a tunitbox on it

Two sensors on the intake i would just pull and clean them . There's a cap on the top of the pump seen here top right inside the tube loop
upload_2017-9-20_21-30-12.jpeg

Pull it off with pliers its not threaded or anything and you will reveal a 10mm lock nut preventing a 6mm nut from moving . Undo the lock and turn the smaller nut just a little clockwise to up fuel and anti-clockwise to turn it down . Keep note of where it was so you can return it to standard and don't over do it , Beau ended up with a runaway engine by going too far and would have killed the motor had he not managed to block the intake to shut it down .

slow to start and coughs ad splutters like no glow plugs but they are new and working we think it could be spray pattern on injectors
And the compression?

To me, and I may be wrong here, this looks like either no glowplugs or low compression shown up by the terraclean either removing gunk from around the piston rings or depositing gunk under the valves (if indeed that's possible). Do you know if Easy Start has ever been used? Any traces of pressure or combustion products in the water circuit (weren't the 1KZT's liable to crack heads if not looked after in the cooling department?)?
How do you know the glow plugs are actually working, you haven't said how this was tested? What is it like starting from hot? Have you tried introducing some heat to the air intake while it's coughing into life and seeing if that helps (which it almost certainly will).

Reconditioning injectors is a costly business. Two of mine out of 6 were said to be bad and all were improved by the recon but it made little difference to the running and the starting was half a key like all healthy 80s before and after, but then yours is a different design which needs the glowplugs. Check current is being drawn by the glowplugs if you haven't already.
Second rule of troubleshooting, never change a part you have not first proven faulty.

Another thing that costs nothing to check is vacuum leaks .

It's something i've learned to check when she starts coughing and spluttering on start up occasionally and it usually shows as a mixture of white and black exhaust .

I can't fathom why exactly but after 5 years of ownership i feel there's a link between the two ?

Simple things often get overlooked when your convinced its a more serious problem .

I see you fly the Welsh flag , i'm in Barry if your anywhere near ?

could you be a bit more descriptive in your cold start?

Is it SLOW to crank over, or does it crank fast like normal numerous times before starting? Does it catch and splutter? What kind of smoke out the back color wise? Any loss of power? Coolant fine? If you glow the plugs numerous time's does it help? Does it start on the dime when warm? (This would rule out compression) as normally compression worsens with heat.

ah ok
i didnt think you could turn the pump up on there hence why i bought a tunit box

we have fitted new glow plugs and they work fine we tested the circuit and although the light goes out they are still on
it was perfect before terraclean on the button and yes it was prob gunked up and terraclean cleaned around rings so prob that dnt help
when its warm even a split second after start up its back to on the button instant but when starting from cold it still spins the same turns over the same but coughs and splutters like as if you have turned the key straight to start with out letting the plugs do their thing a whiteish grey smoke i will try and film it
ive had a price for injector service @ 40.00 each

I thought black smoke was un burnt diesel? Blue oil and white coolant.

I thought black smoke was un burnt diesel? Blue oil and white coolant.

Black = soot (inefficiently burnt diesel)
Blue = oil
White = unburnt diesel (i.e. heated and/or vapourised), burnt coolant, or condensed moisture (more like steam)

first video was a cold start although was quite easy to start and then 2nd is 2nd start up with a few starts in between

I have an idea. The stuff you put through the tank maybe cleaned out part of your fuel line that's in bad condition and now you're taking in air, and a couple more cranks may be needed to start. Warm starts not a problem as it hasn't been enough time for the fuel to drain back??? It's pretty common for these fuel lines to erode, especially on top of the tank

Back