Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Poxy Terraclean

i thought that as well but i changed that last year as it was doing exactly that sucking air back through system

Sorry Nobby but I'm still drawn to the glow plugs. I think some are working and not others. If you've tested each one and verified they are all working correctly individually then fair dues it's something else. Steam perhaps?

If it's steam, it should condense. Try getting somebody to hold something cold (mirror or glass or something) behind the exhaust and see what if anything condenses on it. If oily then it's heated unburned fuel. In that case maybe an injector is dribbling overnight into the bore, which should (correct me if I'm wrong here) find its way into the sump and begin increasing the oil level and make it smell of diesel.

I'm not sure i would do anything just yet , as i said a similar thing comes and goes with my truck for no apparent reason , it used to alarm me but i've never lost any coolant or suffered in any other way to suggest a more serious problem so i just sort of blame the weather because its more likely to happen on damp mornings . There's been a lot of damp mornings in South Wales this month .

I'm not saying Terraclean have damaged your engine but they recommend cleaning out diesel inlet manifold (with the engine running I presume). That's a definite NO NO. If there is loose carbon in the intake system this could easily break loose and cause damage to the piston lands between the rings, at best, or worst break the connecting rods. If there is hard carbon this has to be mechanically removed. Even with a hard and sharp tool it's very difficult to remove and comes off like broken glass.

I'm not sure i would do anything just yet , as i said a similar thing comes and goes with my truck for no apparent reason , it used to alarm me but i've never lost any coolant or suffered in any other way to suggest a more serious problem so i just sort of blame the weather because its more likely to happen on damp mornings . There's been a lot of damp mornings in South Wales this month .
That sounds electrical Shayne. Damp getting into something, perhaps a sensor, and skewing the reading.

I have a vague notion its something to do with how she shuts down though i'm not sure why . I have no doubt she will start and a blip of the throttle clears her throat leaving her running sweet so the why of it has long since stopped being a question . It's a character trait is all :confusion-shrug:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
bit of a mad 1 we went away the weekend and was parked on the flat and it started on the button like it used to brought it back and struggled to start on my drive which has a little slope in it so perhaps he has put the fuel lines back on the filter backwards so the fuel is draining away before start up ive turned the car round and left it over night so will see what happens next

Sounds like a leaky fuel or return line letting air in, breaking the vacuum and letting fuel back to the tank. Recheck the connections that were removed to do the Terraclean. Sometimes the hoses get partly folded over at the ends. Did you do the clear hose test I suggested earlier to see if there's air in the fuel line?

Last edited:
I worked at a garage that bought a terraclean system . Biggest pile of junk I've ever seen .

They Did a scenic diesel . That smoked like fook . Ended up changing the injectors and then the pump .
Did a vw touareg that ended up bending rods within 20 miles caused by excessive fuel through the injectors.

Then they did a 5 yearold Mercedes c class . That ended up back at Mercedes for running issues .

I've only ever heard bad things

The above 3 were in the first 3 weeks of getting the system .

They only did 6 in total . So 50% chance of success

He sent it all back in the end . Cost him a fortune as it was a franchise

Last edited:
Have you checked the fuel delivery valves are tight on the top of the fuel pump nobby?
These may be letting air in so the fuel atomisation is comprimised?

Have you checked the fuel delivery valves are tight on the top of the fuel pump nobby?
These may be letting air in so the fuel atomisation is comprimised?
so yes had it done as recommended please dnt say why did i do that ..................

anyway starts like a bag of crap now when cold since having it done
we got a few things it could be and done a bit
it washed the bores and stuff clean loosing compression (put in wynns stuff to try and help)
it washed tips off glowplugs (changed them a little better)
its damaged injectors
dodgy glowplug relay
Apart from that im stumped

the guy in the dealer said it was dirty fuel filter changed it to be safe even though i knew he was full of crap

help please
Hi, Did you ever get this sorted? What was the problem?

I think he’s left the forum Bri, as his name doesn’t appear if you type the @ symbol followed by his name. :( Guess we’ll never know. :thumbdown:

I find myself remarkably suspicious of what I consider to be snake oil remedies.
The only time an engine needs to be cleaned is when it is being rebuilt after failing.

I did the Terraclean on my 90 and it made no difference , i suggested at the same place because they refurbed injectors that i'd like mine done , this is after the Terraclean was done and the guy said nothing runs that well with injector problems :D

Back