Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado 90 Series Manual Shifter Gone Mad

Mobile_Zeke

Country Flag
kenya
Hi Folks new guy here - just bought my third Cruiser! First family friendly one since we now have a passenger...

It's a 1999 model, and in really good nick for a Kenyan second hand number. One thing is perplexing me - the 4X4 gear lever: The U shaped shifting pattern has the following quirk, the knob is marked on the left hand side with H2 and H4, when in H2 the orange indicator light for 4x4 lights up on the dash. And it actually is in 4x4 mode! in H4 it is in 2x4 and the light extinguishes. is the shifter correct or the light, i.e. should it work as it is working - perhaps someone has changed the knob... would be good to know as I don't want to damage the transmission.

Sounds like someone might have changed the knob? 90's are permanent 4wd, so you should just have a straight line (ish) movement forwards starting with High - High Locked Centre - Neutral - Low Locked Centre. Unless RoW models are different?

Last edited:
Sounds like someone might have changed the knob? 90's are permanent 4wd, so you should just have a straight line (ish) movement forwards starting with High - High Locked Centre - Neutral - Low Locked Centre. Unless RoW models are different?

thanks Doodle. Its definitely got a 2x4 option. I jacked up a front wheel and stuck it in H2 - the jacked wheel could not be turned. H4 and it turned = 2x4 on th H4 setting. the shift pattern is in a U. Left forward H2 = 4x4, left rear H4 = 2x4 ??? right forward L4 = 4x4 low range, right middle = N

Bizzarre

Back