Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

PRADO 90 V6 Repair and Revitalize

lekiboy

Hi.
I am a newbie here in your forum and I am from the Philippines.
I just bought a Prado from Dubai ...74k KMS and I got it from my friend who sold me the unit at a bargain price.
12102010110.jpg

I started replacing parts... here are some pics...
ENGINE BAY
12102010113.jpg

FRONT WHEELS - changed upper and lower ball joints and stabilizer links and all damaged bushings
12102010101.jpg

RACK and PINION ends and TIE ROD ENDS
12102010106.jpg

REAR- CHANGED ALL BUSHINGS in teh stabilizer bar and the 2 links...
12102010109.jpg

CHANGED ALL BRAKE PADS + cleaning
12102010101.jpg

PIPELINE:
1. Engine wash and underwash
2. Change timing belt
3. Change auxilliary / AC belts
4. take out raditaor for overhaul + new water and coolant
5. change brake fluid + bleed
6. change differential oil with Toyota WS
7. change ATF - T-IV
8. change engine oil and filter
9. repair brake line rear - fabricated
10. replace defective lug nuts
11. change air filter
12. interior detailing
13. repair defective temp and fuel gauge - not working - i hope they are just loose
14. repair loose gear shift knob AT..
15. Replace battery.
16. repair defective flares and fenders

I will be using this for the family that is why I really invested for safety. I am just using the money I saved to invest for new parts. I am planning for a good paint job but am still undecided where..

I hope you can still help if I missed anything. Your inputs will be greatly appreciated..

Here is a colelction of the replaced parts...not complete though.
12102010115.jpg

Good work Leki :thumbup:

Welcome to the Forum - will be looking forward to seeing your progress. How long have you owned the truck?

Cheers

Thanks, Gav.
Exactly 5 days..and it went straight to the repair shop..I have spent almost the whole day talking to the service mechanic while he was checking what parts to replace...I got hooked already for this new "hobby".

So far, for all the repaired/replaced parts, i have spent more or less 750 USD...

the pipeplan list is another matter though... :(

will keep you all updated.

nice truck and good work
very jealous of the lack of rust on the chassis and parts - our landcruiser get all rusty due to the winter salt and our wet climate...

Can't fault your first post Leki

Well done on a good looking truck and I hope your pipeline dreams come true.
Not many petrol models over here as it's cheaper to run a diesel and fuel is so expensive.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome Leki. Good start to getting your 90 back in shape

Thanks a lot to all of you. I was again at the shop for the whole day. I guess I got "hooked" already. :shock:

Today, the mechanics did the following:

1. differential oil - front and back with castrol LSX same with LSD according to them
2. repaired a leaking brake hose line - rear
3. replaced the battery - 2SM and cleaned the battery bay ( sanded, cleaned and spray-pianted the areas with battery corrosion)
4. replaced the power steering fluid
5. replaced the ATF with T-IV
6. replaced lug nuts
7. cleaned air filter- can't find a replacement yet
8. replaced brake fluid and bled it
9. change engine oil and oil filter

PIPELINE remaining for next week:

1. interior detailing
2. repair defective temp and fuel gauge - not working - i hope they are just loose..Do you have any past experiences on these?
3. repair loose gear shift knob AT..
4. complete paint job- this has to wait around March as this would cost around 1,200.00USD
5. new discovery - leaking brake fluid- my mechanic told me that he needs to chek the "hydroback" aassembly. We may need to buy a repair kit to repair the leak...any additional thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
6. underwash and engine wash
7. wheel alignment
8. replace one tire with exposed thread...285/60/17

Running TOTAL = 1000 USD

hope to get more pics soon and probably post a youtube link...oh by the way, i am getting good prices in the shop because the owner is a teammate of mine in airsoft..

godspeed to all you!

Well done Leki

Should be the dogs dangly bits in no short order :D

Welcome Leki :)

I have the same model albeit in UK spec.

You mention "285/60/17" tyres - do you have non-standard alloys?

Thanks again.

I think I can use 275/70/16 on them....One question, can I buy 2 and then just replace the fronts with 275's and have the 285's stay at the rear for the meantime?...no budget yet for all 4 units...thanks.

chadr said:
Welcome Leki :)

I have the same model albeit in UK spec.

You mention "285/60/17" tyres - do you have non-standard alloys?

hi chadr,
have you experienced leaking brake fluid from the master brake assembly? my mechanic told me that we need to purchase a repair kit for the hydroback or worse, buy the whole assembly- the sliver part protruding from the big round black part...that's where the brake lines and brake refill container is located.
he will open this on monday to confirm the damage.
thanks.

No, I'm afraid I haven't had any issues with the brakes. Elsewhere yes but not the brakes. :)

update :
- they just finished changing the 3 belts ...left the timing, it is still Ok
-finished bleeding the brakes after further adjustment and cleaning of the master cylinder- it turned out that the master cylinder was just leaking from the plastic container...placed teflon tape then it'sfine...no leaks anymore...saved from a 120 USD new master cylinder!
- done with the wheel alignment

Pipeline:
1. interior detailing
2. repair defective temp and fuel gauge - not working -
3. repair loose gear shift knob AT..istead of just moving up and down, it has some play going to the left and right....
4. complete paint job- this has to wait around March as this would cost around 1,200.00USD
5. underwash and engine wash
6. replace one tire with exposed thread...285/60/17

Questions for the experts:

1. We noticed a rubber cone-shaped object inside one of the coil springs at the rear wheel. we also noticed that the left side has none..how do we call that rubber? Coil spring stopper? is it really needed to be replaced?
2. HAs anyone of you experienced the fuel and temp gauges not working? Fuel is at constant empty and temp is at constant C.
Thanks!

lekiboy said:
Questions for the experts:

1. We noticed a rubber cone-shaped object inside one of the coil springs at the rear wheel. we also noticed that the left side has none..how do we call that rubber? Coil spring stopper? is it really needed to be replaced?
You'll have to wait for an expert to pass by for question 2 - but the rubber part you're referring to is the bump-stop. Yes, it's a good idea to replace the missing one, especially if you're going to take the vehicle off-road. The bump-stop stops the axle articulation (or upward travel) to avoid the shock being compressed too far and being damaged.
I doubt there's much special with a genuine Toyota bump-stop - if you can make one up to match the one that you still have, it would probably do the job ok.

Cheers,

lekiboy said:
update :
2. HAs anyone of you experienced the fuel and temp gauges not working? Fuel is at constant empty and temp is at constant C.[/b]Thanks!

I passed by one of the web pages on quick fixes...The article was pointing to the voltage regulator. Both gauges pass through that accoring to the article. if the dash has working lights, then the grounding is OK. If there are No busted fuses, the connection is OK. All are pointing to the voltage regulator.

However, I am not familiar with how this VR looks like...any idea on where to find this? Thanks!

Updates:

Here is a pic of my engine BEFORE and AFTER the engine detailing...

BEFORE
12102010112.jpg

AFTER
12182010142.jpg

I also did replace my right outer CV joint..I was hearing clunking noises when making a sharp slow right turn...had a very difficult time getting the part, though.

That looks great :cool:

I must admit to never having detailed the engine - always afraid I might get moisture into a crucial part, especially since I also have a LPG conversion which has added a few more bits in the engine bay.

As an aside, your air-filter is round, whereas mine is rectangular. Also yours seems to be larger too. Is this a Prado/Colorado difference i.e. UK/rest of the world or an option?

chadr said:
That looks great :cool:

I must admit to never having detailed the engine - always afraid I might get moisture into a crucial part, especially since I also have a LPG conversion which has added a few more bits in the engine bay.

As an aside, your air-filter is round, whereas mine is rectangular. Also yours seems to be larger too. Is this a Prado/Colorado difference i.e. UK/rest of the world or an option?

Hi Chadr,
The filter was a stock design..My prado was originally from Dubai. I went to a genuine Toyota parts dealer and the part number matches with my model.

Also, on the engine detailing, the technician did not cover anything as I do not have a distributor...All he had was plenty of degreaser, cleaner liquid and a tootthbrush...plus a light powered water sprayer. Well, that's for a 5VZ engine. I just do not know for the other engine types.

Back