Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado ECU to euro-model?

KZJ90

Have anyone ever solved following question: would japanese model Prado´s (with intercooler) ECU work in euro-model (Land Cruiser 90, Colorado 90)? Prado gives with the same (part number) fuel pump 20 hp/48 Nm more (125 -> 145 hp, 295 -> 343 Nm). I think there have to be something else than the intercooler behind this. Cooler air won´t increase such much power without more fuel. I have a tuning box, which gives more fuel, but it might give twice as much with different ECU... :think:

I have understood that every other parts are the same, exept the ECU. The part number is 89661-60510 for Prado, 89661-60540 for euro-model till 12/1997. Only problem might be that there is no Engine Immobilizer system in Prado, but in every euro-model it is. How would the ECU work, are the wirings same? Plugs are.

8966160540.jpg
8966160510.jpg

Why I can´t edit my post? :!: :?: :thumbdown:
Electrical parts comparisation:
nyttkuva20110101kohtees.png

I think you are probably right about the different ECU, I had a drive of my BIL's japanese import 95 auto and it was a lot punchier than my 90 swb manual.The intercooler would make some difference but not that much.

Ok. Found one and ordered used one from Vladivostok. :o I could not find closer. :lol: Let´s see when I´ll get it and how it works, or works at all... :think:

Finally got the Prado ECU. It works well, just plug-in. The immobilizer was not a problem, I think it is not working any more.

I can feel more torque at some point, but it´s not such more powerfull than I thought. Maybe the Spill Control Valve can not give more fuel, because I have screwed it manually to the maximum limit.
But I am happy because it is working fine and I can feel something difference. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very interesting. What did you end up paying for the ECU?

fridayman said:
Very interesting. What did you end up paying for the ECU?
3000 rub + 1500 shipping = about £100

Yesterday I drove more test drive. I still hope it could give more power/torque, it feels so much the same than the original. :|

I have to measure the inlet air temperature sensor, is there same resistant than in mine. That part number is different, but I think it´s because of the mounting method (it´s threaded in Prado, pushed plug in euro-model). My wife´s Corolla uses the same part-number sensor than Prado, so it´s quite easy to test. :D
It could affect, because if the plug is off, the car won´t go anywhere below 1500 r/min. The low end torque is completely missing. Wrong resistant could affect the same in a smaller scale.

Today I made a longer trip. :( It not feel good, like injection timing is too late or some. I have to push the pedal, instead of just touching it... you know the feeling. It goes ok, but the stock ECU feels better and more efficient overall.

I measured the inlet temperature sensor and compared it to the "correct" one. The results are very similar, so it´s not the problem, although it´s located in pressure side in Prado = hotter side of the intake. But, an other difference: there is 1st gear position sensor in Prado and there is not in my model. It´s just on-off-type sensor; ON when 1st gear is selected, OFF if it´s not. The ECU gives normally voltage in that stud, about 2 V (should be 0-3 V when it´s not selected, 9-14 V when it´s in 1st gear). But because of the missing wire, what it affect... :?: :!: :idea: :roll: :| :think: The 1st gear sensor limits the torque and power, I think (too much for 1st gear :naughty:) :D

So, back to the drawing board. I have to study the schema and try to understand how it works... The stock ECU is back in it´s place.

Back