Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado not Starting.

Neal Guthrie

Ok so i have had my prado for a while now, Since March. When i got it, about a week later i had starting issues. almost like it was out of fuel. the first time it would not start i though i was out of fuel and so i pumped over from the long range tank. it statred no issue. i though it was this and the fuel gauge was not working accurately. drove home about 25km on issue and the fuel was pumped from LR to main. ended on half a tank. the following morning it just would NOT start.... spent 8 days going over the vehicle..... im limited in electronics.... so i was checking and double checking as i went.....

i checked and tested all relays and they seemed fine. i then place direct power to the fuel pump and Voila! it started first turn of the key!! or i have ruled out the fuel pump. i then placed a gadget (forget the name) on the wires at the Pump. this send signal up the wires and i followed with the pen while it was beeping along the wires hoping to find a short or broken wire.... followed it right up to the open circuit relay below the dash on the drivers side. (right hand drive vehicle) right so check that relay again, on problem. bought a new one, still wont work..... i then Bridged that relay socket with a test wire and it started no problem!!! :)
right, so connect my gadget to that relay socket and followed the beeps right up the the ECU....... so where i am right now is that there is NO signal coming from the ECU telling the relay to close to let the power through to the fuel pump.....

what tells the ECU to let power through??? I have checked the EFI relay, checked all fuses that i can think of and that i have found in manuals and tech pages.... i do not want to borrow a mates ecu as if there is a short and i pop his i will be bleek!

there is an alarm/anti-theft device in the car but i have traced those wires for three days and they are NOT cutting into any power wires on the ignition. they only really power the windows and siren when the buttons are pressed (beep-Beep) and the central locking.....

i have done the check for engine codes and faults and it displays nothing.

could the key transponder be the culprit as this is the kind of safety device the transponder is i think??

at the moment i am driving the vehicle with a bridged relay socket but i would like the issue sorted.

Anyone have any ideas.....???

regards.

Sounds like it could be an immobiliser problem of some sort. Do your keys have transponders in? If so then I'd see if you can find out how to check that is all working.

I have to book it on with the dealers as they need to reprogram the keys. just thought some one would have had this issue with there car and it might be known issue.

You could try pulling the plug on the alarm/immobiliser system all together. That would rule that out. I assume it is the original unit which is tucked up behind the stereo mounted to the steel tube that runs there IIRC there is just 1 25ish pin plug to remove. There is a good chance that doing this will sound your alarm but if you can ignore it you will be able to fire it up.

I pulled mine out years ago due to the fobs being less than reliable. Pulled out the plug and disconnected the sounder and wired in an aftermarket remote locking system. However i am fortunate enough to have my LC garaged overnight and during the day it is usually in sight but at least this will rule in or out a possibility

Back