Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Preventative maintenance - priority items

Jabz

Country Flag
poland
I am, potentially, about to buy a D4D LC4 120 with 160k on the clock.

FSH done @TOYOTA. Aside from all standard services - nothing "major" was replaced. I guess the good news is that to this point nothing needed fixing - however, i would like piece of mind, and as such have been thinking of some critical preventative replacements / upgrades. I tend to be OCD, so i dont leave cars until they breakdown before i fix them.

Here is what i thought - would appreciate your wisdom and direction (on what tends to fail around this mileage). Thanks in advance.

Priority 1:
Underbody rust removal and underseal
Complete liquid flush (engine, trans etc), filters etc
Injectors?
Brakelines, liquids
Timing belt (done at 113k i believe) , other belts, front engine bearings

Priority2:
Complete suspension refresh - shocks, springs, front lower control arms etc
Front, rear wheel bearings
Brake pads, rotors
Bushes, balljoints, CV joints...
Radiator + water pump

Priority 2:
Alternator

What do you guys think?

Maybe you need to just check the OCD a little there first Jabz. Agree completely about preventative maintenance but just swapping lots of that stuff straight out is really a false economy. Now if you were planning on doing the Simpson, maybe there's some I'd look at. But if the brake rotors are good then why change them? If the brakelines are corroded, why change them? Sure you can't see hidden faults we appreciate that but this is a Landcruiser with only 160k on the clock. I'd get into checking the vital components including things like UJs and simply replace where there is evidence. They're well made these things

:text-+1:
Change the fluids and put it to work before you do anything for the most part original is best and only once you get to know the truck might you feel the benefit of upgrades and refurbishment , faith i your vehicle comes from instinctively knowing when something isn't quite right .

The checklist you offer does cover just about everything for all of us but most of us are driving Cruisers at least twice the age with more than twice the mileage and plenty of them haven't actually got around to doing all the above yet .

Maybe consider replacing the suction control valve (SCV) on the high pressure diesel pump if you've got the short one fitted.

Back