Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Progressive springs

TJM do and I would think the other big brands like OME, Ironman, Dobinsons do - for the 80 anyway. Don't know about the 90 though. Perhaps ask Anton at OEC or Paul at West Coast 4x4?
When I spoke to Anton about progressive springs for my 80, he was not a fan of them and discouraged me from getting them but he wouldn't give a clear answer why and kept saying that everyone just buys the constant load springs :? I suspect that he carries constant load in stock and progressives would be a special order, rather than there being a good reason for not fitting them... my 2c anyway!

Cheers,

Cheers Andrew. I'll do a ring around.

I think constant might be better for hard core overlanding, but progressive should give a better compromise if you do a lot of tar miles like I do.

air bags are probably the best way to get a decent ride unloaded and still cope with being heavily loaded. I'm not sure if the slinky springs Julian does are progressive?

I think Jim (Jimbo4x4) got some progressive springs for his 70 from Dobinsons. He certainly got Dobinsons springs...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Compared to straight springs they provide a better ride unladen. But frequently the top or bottom coils tend to break. just because they are doing all the work most of the time.

A spring change on an 80 isn't that involved so probably worth the trouble.

chriscolleman said:
Compared to straight springs they provide a better ride unladen. But frequently the top or bottom coils tend to break. just because they are doing all the work most of the time.

Interesting

On a cruiser your front weight is mostly constant. So a progressive spring is a waist of time and effort.

I've encountered them on ATVs on the front, because you load an ATV front and rear.
Too much progressive rate in the front makes a vehicle dive when you hit the brakes.
Most people can't get used to the diving and mount heavier front springs or racing shocks.
Then they break or bend their chassis.

Nothing to do with cruisers offcourse. Just some random rambling on about progressive springs :doh:

If you allready have an onboard airsource check out some standard springs and airbags.
Don't link the airbags together because they will tend to tip your vehicle on a side hill.

Back