Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project FJ40

No i often search what cruisers are for sale just to pass time and its generally just same old 80's the occasional much better looking swb 90 and well anything built after 2002 is not worth looking at imo and so it leads to random searches such as 4x4 engine swap project and the like . The 40 above didn't show up in my Landcruiser searches so maybe it was listed wrong or something and i figured if anyone is going to put that truck right he's either a member of our club or he should be .

On a side note i have for the first time started looking at the 70 series and i hadn't realized until now how scarce they are especially if you don't want a 2.5 motor .

No i often search what cruisers are for sale just to pass time and its generally just same old 80's the occasional much better looking swb 90 and well anything built after 2002 is not worth looking at imo and so it leads to random searches such as 4x4 engine swap project and the like . The 40 above didn't show up in my Landcruiser searches so maybe it was listed wrong or something and i figured if anyone is going to put that truck right he's either a member of our club or he should be .

On a side note i have for the first time started looking at the 70 series and i hadn't realized until now how scarce they are especially if you don't want a 2.5 motor .

You know I was only teasing, but thanks for the well reasoned (serious) answer.

For some reason, I've never really taken to the 70 series, although there are some beauties around. I never liked 60s much either until I saw Oding's build.

If I'm honest (rightly or wrongly) I'm a self confessed 80 Series groupie :lol:

I love 40s though, but that's more likely the puppy-dog effect, they just look so damn cute :icon-biggrin:

Love the 60's though they have to much overhang at the rear and its the "puppy dog" look of the 40 that puts me off , that said if the body was a foot wider it would make me drool . The 70 series never really appealed to me either , daft as it may sound because they have too much glass .

But while bored staring at and not watching tv i seen a gold monster Mercedes wagon advertising something or other and i wasted the remainder of the evening dreaming up a 70 series fit to trounce the merc :icon-smile:

I do wonder if i could cope if my life got any more exciting :lol:

As this is my own thread i can continue the convo started on the importing a 4.2 thread Clive .

As i said i don't consider the little play about in your truck a test drive and so i have formed no conclusions about the 4.2 as a result . Besides which all proper engines can be squeezed for more :icon-wink:

What plays on my conscience is when i took a ride up the lane with you to retrieve the window grill you lost .

My conclusion from that is the 80 is very capable and remarkably comfortable , solid , unstoppable . And in direct comparison to my truck on the same route the 80 is i dare say a lumbering softy .

Undoubtedly the 80 is the superior vehicle but for fun factor :think: earlier that day we went up the lane and Helen had a giggling fit in my truck , and i fear she would have been playing bingo on her phone instead had i been driving an 80 .

Trouble is i think i have made my truck fit me and nothing will compare so when i look at whats next i have to look at what it will be rather than what it is .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As this is my own thread i can continue the convo started on the importing a 4.2 thread Clive .

As i said i don't consider the little play about in your truck a test drive and so i have formed no conclusions about the 4.2 as a result . Besides which all proper engines can be squeezed for more :icon-wink:

What plays on my conscience is when i took a ride up the lane with you to retrieve the window grill you lost .

My conclusion from that is the 80 is very capable and remarkably comfortable , solid , unstoppable . And in direct comparison to my truck on the same route the 80 is i dare say a lumbering softy .

Undoubtedly the 80 is the superior vehicle but for fun factor :think: earlier that day we went up the lane and Helen had a giggling fit in my truck , and i fear she would have been playing bingo on her phone instead had i been driving an 80 .

Trouble is i think i have made my truck fit me and nothing will compare so when i look at whats next i have to look at what it will be rather than what it is .

I think that's a fact Shayne, nothing will compare, whatever it is will be something different.

You're right about the comfort factor, and at my age (and with my wife and kid) it's that comfort factor that makes it all possible. If I bounced my missus and kid around like your 90 would, they'd not not want to go anywhere with me :lol:.

One thing though, I do think the 80 is more stable. It would be fairly useless in comp trials in the forest, I've seen their courses and I don't think the 80 would navigate them, it's too long. But, on the open mountain, and forest roads, there's not much that I fear (within reason), the old girl is very sure footed at extreme angles and difficult terrain.

Back