Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project mush 80

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
And so after 9 months the old beast finally drove out of the garage the other day. It's not 100% finished yet but the basis is certainly there. It's now structurally sound and has the main metal add ons that I was after. This thread is for the complete vehicle, ive done a few on certain parts like the back end and axles. I'll try and list everything that's been done but will definitely forget half of it!
-new clutch after it wouldn't drive home above 3rd gear
-removed back axle, rebuilt every single mount from scratch and made from 6mm metal
-new rear diff lock
-2nd hand rear backplates
-new handbrake cable and shoes
-cut 1foot off the rear of chassis as rotten. Now made from 5mm box and extended for winch and swing out carries
-custom rear wheel carrier
-twin jerry can holder
-rear winch
-rewired abs as light on (causing diff lock faults)
-both rear trailing arm mounts replaced on chassis as rotten (thanks mike)
-new 2nd hand front axle cheers Andy
-new 2nd hand front diff and locker cheers Andy
-replaced all axle bushes
-pedders 2inch springs and foam cell shocks
-pedders foam steering damper
-all new brake pipes, braided rubber and the metal ones
-complete swivel rebuild all bearings seals 3rd
-front winch bumper cheers Karl
-2nd hand pair of inner wings and front panel cheers Andy
-fuel tank gaurd and straps cheers Andy
-repairded various body mounts
-made new rear body mounts
-safari snorkel cheers Andy
-painted all chassis and axles and suspension arms por15
-custom made rear trailing arms 30mm solid bar
-new arb bushes
-4 new track rod ends
-new brake master cylinder as leaking

Off the top of my head this is all I can think of. Next plans are for a load of wiring, Alarm, tracker, split charge, winch wiring, lights, cb. Then make myself a rear organiser to split the boot up, already got a fridge slide. Maybe some mud terrains if the at2 don't bite enough. Hopefully get it tested next week or so them it's time to put some miles on it!

IMG-20170906-WA0001.jpg

Congratulations Josh thats in no way a small undertaking you've done there. Certainly taking shape now to become a awesome ride. Look forward to seeing more....thanks for posting :thumbup:

And so after 9 months the old beast finally drove out of the garage the other day. It's not 100% finished yet but the basis is certainly there. It's now structurally sound and has the main metal add ons that I was after. This thread is for the complete vehicle, ive done a few on certain parts like the back end and axles. I'll try and list everything that's been done but will definitely forget half of it!
-new clutch after it wouldn't drive home above 3rd gear
-removed back axle, rebuilt every single mount from scratch and made from 6mm metal
-new rear diff lock
-2nd hand rear backplates
-new handbrake cable and shoes
-cut 1foot off the rear of chassis as rotten. Now made from 5mm box and extended for winch and swing out carries
-custom rear wheel carrier
-twin jerry can holder
-rear winch
-rewired abs as light on (causing diff lock faults)
-both rear trailing arm mounts replaced on chassis as rotten (thanks mike)
-new 2nd hand front axle cheers Andy
-new 2nd hand front diff and locker cheers Andy
-replaced all axle bushes
-pedders 2inch springs and foam cell shocks
-pedders foam steering damper
-all new brake pipes, braided rubber and the metal ones
-complete swivel rebuild all bearings seals 3rd
-front winch bumper cheers Karl
-2nd hand pair of inner wings and front panel cheers Andy
-fuel tank gaurd and straps cheers Andy
-repairded various body mounts
-made new rear body mounts
-safari snorkel cheers Andy
-painted all chassis and axles and suspension arms por15
-custom made rear trailing arms 30mm solid bar
-new arb bushes
-4 new track rod ends
-new brake master cylinder as leaking

Off the top of my head this is all I can think of. Next plans are for a load of wiring, Alarm, tracker, split charge, winch wiring, lights, cb. Then make myself a rear organiser to split the boot up, already got a fridge slide. Maybe some mud terrains if the at2 don't bite enough. Hopefully get it tested next week or so them it's time to put some miles on it!

View attachment 132780

See you at Lincomb then Josh, glad to be of assistance.

Nice one josh. Well done.

Very nice indeed, lots of good work going on Josh

What a job list, executed with great skills. Good luck with the mot Josh

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers guys will keep you all posted what happens next

Impressive list of jobs there Josh. Looking very nice. Looking forward to watching what you do next

The latest modification. A shelving unit, you can fit 4 of the frontrunner wolf boxes underneath and get a 40l fridge on a slider in the upper units. Left about 10 inch to the roof to chuck all the lighter stuff like roll mats and pillows. Hopefully it'll work, it's all just trial and error at the moment

20170916_174033.jpg 20170917_150327.jpg 20170918_192635.jpg 20170918_192644.jpg

The latest modification. A shelving unit, you can fit 4 of the frontrunner wolf boxes underneath and get a 40l fridge on a slider in the upper units. Left about 10 inch to the roof to chuck all the lighter stuff like roll mats and pillows. Hopefully it'll work, it's all just trial and error at the moment

View attachment 133188 View attachment 133189 View attachment 133190 View attachment 133191
I know you know your beans josh, and im a bit of a serial storage solution maker. They can shift about more than you think, especially with a tall unit. Ive removed the roof grab handles on such units and fabricated a simple 1" flat bar bracket that uses the grab handle bolt holes and then fixes to the ply.

No no all inputs are welcome! It is wedged between the arches but I suppose it could jump up if I hit something hard so I shall take your advice on this and see what I can come up with. Cheers :thumbup:

Well guess what passed it's mot today....... Yes of course I had no doubt that a car with no number plate on the front, no horn and a certain light on the dash wouldn't pass. The number plate was fitted after a quick call to get it off the old bumper! I actually got to drive it for a short while, seems alright up to 30mph which was the fastest I got. A few more jobs have been carried out today. Rear winch fitting, solenoid fitting and the aux batter and carrier under the arse end (I'll take a pic of that tomorrow). Will be carrying out a proper road test tomorrow then hopefully insuring it next week if that goes well. Fingers crossed

20170922_112305.jpg 20170922_135945.jpg 20170922_154218.jpg 20170922_173410.jpg

Today has been a long time in the waiting! Finally a road test and a bloody successful one at That! Abs light was cured by tightening a front sensor up-doh! Had her up to 65mph and no horrible noises nothing bangs and the engine sounds sweet enough. Going to insure her for Monday and put some miles on it next week before it's first voyage to lincomb. My current face :):):)

20170923_165517.jpg 20170923_165142.jpg

Looking great Josh, no wonder you're :):):)

Love the double jerry can holder on the back. Where did you get it?

Had to buy some bolt on goods from the show yesterday. Didn't think they were a bad buy at 70 quid for the pair

IMG-20170924-WA0003.jpeg

It's come together nicely.

Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Well done for saving it mate. Here's to many more happy miles and adventures to come ;)

Today's been a good day. Got a lot of the wiring finished off, all the alarm is fitted. Full system with proximity sensors, blackjack system so someone would have quite a job on driving it away as they'd never know the code...... new radio is fitted, Bluetooth, dab and usb. New pioneer speakers front and rear. Split charge is fitted using the tmax 250a system that you can link together and comes with display. Finally got the front spots wired up too, wired them to the rear heather switch as this no longer exists. Oh and one last thing changed the dash lights for led ones, after a bloody expensive 2 bulbs from Halfords! I'll take pictures tomorrow as forgot today

Back